Subject Author Posted Replies

LED Bulbs Replacement
Took the plunge and replaced my GU10 in the bedroom with 6 of these I am very happy with them. Now looking to replace some 12V MR16 in sons bedroom, as he doesn't seem to understand the concept of the...
31
31

OT: Why is my PC uploading 15Gb per day to the internet
Am having a bit of a panic over this... I recently upgraded my router firmware to the OpenSource DD-WRT and consequently I now have a lot more information available to me than previously about my home...
20
20

Frost and laptop batteries
My Sony lappie battery, circa 5 years old, seems to have fallen off a capac= ity cliff edge in the last few weeks, only last half an hour now. It has b= een left out in the car boot at -8 deg. C a few...
5
5

Fixing a washing machine - the mechanical controller unit
I have a 13 year old Bosch WFB 2005 washing machine. When I switched it on the other day, set to a normal wash cycle, it started to fill with water, then 20 seconds later there was a small bang and a...
18
18

towerstat rf turning off before set temp reached
Hi I wonder if anybody can help me? I have had a towerstat rf transmitter and receiver on a potterton combi boiler for past 4 years. I've never had a problem before, then a few months ago I noticed...
11
11

Cover for Honeywell ST699 Programmer/heating control??
Is there a cover available for the ST699 which would make the controls a little less available to wandering hands (not the small kind, more of the 90-year-old forgetful kind: my Mum thinks she knows...
6
6

So who has made themselves..
A diy snow plough? Could be mounted on a lawn mower and if you have a water resistent vacuum, you could have a snow blower as well. Brian
9
9

flint blocks
Anyone got any experience with concrete blocks faced with flint? Mostly produced by small manufacturers by the look of it, and not easy to get a guide price. An adjoining property to us is building an...
5
5

Vacuum fluorescent display.
The old car has a green vacuum fluorescent display for the clock and OBC. On a cold and damp day it tends to show all the segments until it warms up then comes good. The obvious thing would be to...
5
5

Boiler leak.. then another... then another
OK, so am I missing something here? I fix a leak and another appears.. We've two system boilers that run in parallel for some reason. Vaillant thermocompacts - both of them - about 10 years old now....
2
2

Bit of PVA'll sort it...
I am sure this sort of thing is well-known, but it hit me between the eyes this morning: "New polymer-halloysite hybrid materials--potential controlled drug release system. Ghebaur A, Garea SA, Iovu...
7
7

Blocked condensate pipe
Woke up this morning to find a d1 error - condensate pipe/trap blocked on my Vokera. Frozen, obviously - except it couldn't be, because it routes to an internal waste stack. I extracted the pipe and...
6
6

Need to move socket, but how?
Situation is as seen in the diagram here: is on a ring main, socket2 a spur off it so that they are on either side of a brick wall. The feed for socket2 runs directly through the wall from the back of...
12
12

DreamLiner and Li-ion
So they've just discovered Li-ion can be a fire risk?
177
177

DIY fluorescent lights - RFI interference
I've wired two dual dimmable ballasts (philips) on top of two runs of kitchen cabinets (4 x 36W tubes). Not wired up the dimming potentiometer yet. But I cannot now use the mains FM radio by the...
29
29