Grit roller drive ideas

Some of you may already have come across caravan movers, but for those who have not I will try to explain...

They are basically an add on item for a caravan, to enable it to be moved along via a remote control. A geared down starter moter, with a roller on the output shaft, which presses against the tyres.

Some use an alloy roller and some use a roller covered in grit to enable the grit between roller and tyre. Both do wear out, with the grit coming off the grit type.

I'm aware you can buy new ones, I'm aware you can also buy refurbishing kits too, but as this is DIY, I prefer to DIY and I have a spare set I can work on.

The rollers are a tubular mild steel of around 25mm OD, about 40mm where coated with grit, with a bearing at the far end from the gearbox. The roller then has a sharp grit glued on the roller. They do not get hot, so I was thinking Araldite, mixed with a sharp grit of say around

3mm.

The existing 'glue' seems to be black, so maybe there is something better than Araldit for the purpose and where would I be able to buy

3mm sharp grit able to withstand some wear?
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

the local council around here were trying a new road surface made from crushed seashells a few years back. the size seemed to be approximately what you are after. try asking in your local builders yard. they would probably be able to source sharp sand around the size you want too.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

Local BS don't sell crushed seashell, but it is a good idea. It would not need much, so maybe I could collect and crush.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk:

Could a machine shop do something like Knurling?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Can't see that gripping a wet tyre. Small high torque motor trying to turn a wheel loaded with the weight of a caravan, possibly on a slope.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I could do the knurling myself, but it would not provide enough grip.

The French Connection exactly describes how it works.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Crushed glass bottles?

Reply to
dennis

Snap! I thought of crushed glass at the same time as you :D

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

sharp grit, driving the tyre by

Perhaps the knurl would form a good key for the adhesive and grit.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I guess a key part of the original design is getting the right balance between adequate friction and chewing away expensive tyre rubber.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

[...]

Have a word with this lot

The product mentioned is a little out of the price range I feel you'd be looking for but if you explain what you want to do to them perhaps they will make up a smaller amount

Reply to
Nthkentman

would not use Araldite, goes too brittle. Something like West System Epoxy would be better, or a marine gelcoat.

Why not get a shovel full of stone dust (any Builders yard), sieve out the dust, and then sieve the rest to a suitable size ... (3mm ?)

Nick the colander from the kitchen ... may work.

Or forget all that and buy the adhesive grit strips that they use on steps (and boats) and glue them on. If you glue a few rings of these in place, sure that would work.

BTW .... I wanted a caravan mover for my Boat ... in the end I made a winch for the job ... Wireless remote control ... works a dream.

Project is here:

Rick Hughes

I've found a company, which happens to be fairly local, which supplies a specilist adhesive for the job.

I actually used to use a hand winch, to get it up the drive.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Any chance of a link? Could be of interest to the Solex boys.

Reply to
Adrian

Type 1821 seems as if it might tbe one needed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Just noticed .. my Boat Trailer has stuck on grit pads onto the step up mudguards ... maybe getting some of that stick on material may help.

Reply to
Rick Hughes