Toilet cistern filling up past level

We have one of these new type 2 button push type cistern/toilets and have just noticed, well heard it really, that it is filling up after a flush past the water level which is marked on the inside. Consequently it is constantly running, and as it is a new type I have no idea on how to stop it.

So over to you guys if someone could point me in the right direction.

Reply to
Bob H

Quite separate from the flush valve with the push buttons, there will be an inlet valve. This will either be a conventional type with a big ball float, or a torbeck type with a smaller cylindrical float. Which is it?

Reply to
Graham.

I constantly get "my toilet won't stop flushing" calls. As Graham says, it's the fill valve needs adjusting/replacing.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have repaired a few of the old type cisterns, but not sure what to do with this type:

This shows where the water comes in:

This shows the small nylon float:

This one shows the water level marker and where the water is above that as it is filling:

Bob H

I have repaired a few of the old type cisterns, but not sure what to do with this type:

This one shows the water level marker and where the water is above that as it is filling:

This shows the small nylon float:

This shows the water level marker:

Bob H

It seems that every man and his dog has been inventing cistern valves!

Incidentally - I think the small ball is to do with shutting off the flush when complete.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I found this from a google search on how to adjust a torbeck:

But mine doesn't look like that as you can see from the pictures I linked in a followup post below.

Reply to
Bob H

Part of the problem with these new valves is that it's hard to see where the water is overflowing from. It could be due to overfilling but it's also possible that it's the flapper valve mechanism not reseating properly.

Try and establish if the flapper valve isn't reseating properly (usually a bit of jiggling by hand will get the flap to drop down again if it's sticking) or whether ther water is going over the top of an "overflow" straight down into the pan. If you can see it over-topping the overflow then it's your fill valve that's faulty.

They seem to be susceptable to small particles of grit so simply (well, I say "simply" but it rather depends on the valve and access) disassembling everything and cleaning may sort your problem.

Sometimes replacing the whole shebang is just simpler and quicker.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Looking at your first photo, I would guess that the squarish white thing to the left is the float, connected by the orange lever to the grey circular hinged cap top left. I believe the valve is made by Wirquin and the orange lever looks like their Jollyfill range. Here is a faultfinding guide:

It seems you rotate the orange knob above the float to raise and lower it, to adjust the water level.

Reply to
Dave W

I noticed last night when or during the refill of the cistern, as it crept above the refill line it started to go down the main hole, and by that I mean the top of the red plastic pipe? in the middle of the actual cistern.

Reply to
Bob H

Nothing wrong with the old fashioned siphon. Why did someone feel the need to 'improve' it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I understand from a plumber it was because "it used too much water".

Reply to
charles

Thanks for the link, and I have saved it to print off later.

I don't know why it suddenly started to overflow, but the strangest thing is, that it seems to have put itself right now!

It is not overflowing and running into the basin as it did last night.

Reply to
Bob H

replying to Bob H, Jack wrote: The inlet valve on the Jollyfill product has a very small plastic aperture which protrudes through the diaphragm washer. This can get clogged with impurities (e.g. after supply disruption) and will stop the valve reseating, hence the overflow. Turn water off, unscrew top of inlet assembly, remove the diaphragm washer and clean out the gunk in the vent and replace. The alternative is to fit a new washer (£2.89 on EBay).

Reply to
Jack

replying to Bob H, Jack wrote: The inlet valve on the Jollyfill product has a very small plastic aperture which protrudes through the diaphragm washer. This can get clogged with impurities (e.g. after supply disruption) and will stop the valve reseating, hence the overflow. Turn water off, unscrew top of inlet assembly, remove the diaphragm washer and clean out the gunk in the vent with a needle and replace. The alternative is to fit a new washer (£2.89 on EBay).

Reply to
Jack

That homeowner shub thingy must be pretty hard to use if it didn't let you know this was sorted out in August 2013.

Get yourself a real newsreader.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I think that should read 'leached from uk.d-i-y...'