Subject Author Posted Replies

Lidl car battery charger
There was a thread about this recently so thanks to whoever for the heads up. A faulty one I had did turn out to be the switch. This is a direct replacement after filing down the button to give a...
1
1

Filling screw heads
What's the best thing for filling in screw heads or nail holes in wood these days, before painting? Most fillers like Pollyfilla don't give a particularly smooth finish and often show through the...
11
11

Underfloor heating leak
Hi all I have a polypipe overlay underfloor heating system. Unfortunately due to poor project management, the system has been tiled over before I could test it. And now of course I have a leak. No...
5
5

New style LED Light Bulb
Spotted this new style of LED light bulb in Tesco Hexham today: white-8718291192787/prd/ Price tag of £13 and not sure how bright (ha! dim) 250 lm is I didn't purchase but the design got me...
84
84

How do you test 12v spotlights?
I was trying to figure out whether a 50w 12 volt spotlight bulb had blown a nd used the multimeter to see what voltage there was at the contacts, nothi ng registered, I tried it on another known...
11
11

OT: bet this upset greenpeace!
Hitch climate tax to the actual climate, says top economist • The Register
3
3

OT:Most blatant UK/US rip off yet ?
Idly nosing for a sugar dispenser (I saw one 15 years ago, made in Italy - you press a button and get 1tps sugar) ... Found something similar ... $14.99 in US: and £69.37 in the UK: (currently $14.99...
26
26

Fabric protector
We have just bought a new sofa, and my Management has just decreed that I need to "Scotchgard" it before somebody spills something on it. Any suggestions precisely what I need to get, please? (It's...
4
4

Smart meter?
I've just had a letter from E.On offering me a smart meter. Do I want one? Why? (It's "free" - IOW, there's something in it for E.On, perhaps not having to send a meter reader? What's the catch?)
74
74

Decking Stairs - how wrong is this?
So I had a chance to look at the stairs the chippy had installed on my deck ing this evening. It was meant to look like this: But it looks like this at the moment: Apart from the landing (at the top)...
11
11

Mortice/tenon/dowel
My question concerns a heavy folding garden table made of some heavy hard wood - teak I think. It was damaged in a storm last Autumn. Today I got round to looking at the damage. Part of the folding...
6
6

What thickness soffit
Going to put in some soffit in WBP ply. Previously always used 9mm ply, as trussed roof centres were at 600. On this cut roof centres are at 400 .... is 6mm ply good enough, i.e won't sag between...

OT Forbidden
I tried to access a website. It came up "forbidden" 403. What does this actually indicate?
10
10

electric shock from solar panels
A warning to aerial installers! My son Paul removed an old aerial from the chimney and put it down on the roof, where it happened to touch the frame of a solar panel. When he picked it up he received...
67
67

canvas bags
What do they call those big canvas bags the construction firms use for delivering sand and other stuff ? The ones in the shape of a cube with 500mm or 600mm sides, with open top and 4 rope loops on...
14
14