Subject Author Posted Replies

Painting the roof
Time to paint the roof again. It is the middle of winter here but I got lots of discounted paint, and the weather is fine. It's quite steep, like about 65 degrees with triple gables. There are...
7
7

Priming pebble-dashed rendering for Sandtex
Hi guys, I'm chewing on life's gristle at the moment. Whoever painted the pebble-das hed wall I'm preparing didn't prime it properly, so the existing paint has adhered poorly and is grudgingly and...
4
4

Expansion tank
A few weeks ago my children proudly announced that they'd made an air rifle from some plumbing parts and a plastic bottle and a Schrader valve. I was annoyed because they were supposed to be studying...
64
64

Ideal boiler Transformer on PCB
Boiler is suddenly showing no signs of life, PCB fuse is fine, supply is fine. Opened up control PCB from its plastic casing and the casing is showing indications of the PCB mount mains transformer...
7
7

Noisy washing machine fixed.
I posted a few days ago about my mum's (er, and dad's, of course) washing machine. It was making a loud strange buzzing/squeaking noise every now and again. Quite hard to describe, but it sounded...
8
8

SDS Max Demolition hammer on clearance in Wickes
Just picked one of these up in store: Don't know what price they started at but they were £90 at one stage. Cosmetically similar to this Sparky model although I don't know how similar the internals...
11
11

DIY car spray paint? not available from dealer or Halfords
My daughter got her Fiat Panda keyed quite badly the other day, and I want to do a DIY repaint as she doesn't want to claim on insurance or spend £100's at the local body shop. It certainly needs...
25
25

A wall vs. radiator conundrum
I have a couple of large rads that I want to mount on the wall of my kitchen. It's an old house and the walls are solid brick. The wall that I want to hang the rads on is an internal wall and, is...
5
5

LiDL 1/4" hex ratchet kit
Anyone bought one of these? Seem like a bargain: 1/4" hex ratchet handle, bit adapter, motely collection of flat, Philips, Torx and hex bits, and set of 1/4" square drive sockets ... but no hex to...
7
7

Talking of (leccy) meters ...
The thread about smart meters made me wonder ... aren't meters supposed to be changed (and checked) every 10 years ? We've lived here 11, and had a *gas* meter changed, but not the electric ... should...
9
9

Flier from Maplin
Maplin Electronics Latest Bargains and Deals! _________________________________________________________ For a limited time only we are reducing oiur range of fans and cooler by up to 35% ;-)

Simple question about Halogen lights
Someone asked me why they seem to blow so often. I don't have them but they have them in a Kitchen and are getting fed up with changing them after just months sometimes. No I don't know if they are...
19
19

Lidl car battery charger
There was a thread about this recently so thanks to whoever for the heads up. A faulty one I had did turn out to be the switch. This is a direct replacement after filing down the button to give a...
1
1

Filling screw heads
What's the best thing for filling in screw heads or nail holes in wood these days, before painting? Most fillers like Pollyfilla don't give a particularly smooth finish and often show through the...
11
11

Underfloor heating leak
Hi all I have a polypipe overlay underfloor heating system. Unfortunately due to poor project management, the system has been tiled over before I could test it. And now of course I have a leak. No...
5
5