Outdoor fire pit/ fire box design?

We were over in the US the other year and most camp sites had fire boxes made from metal (boiler plate?) with a heavy duty grill on top which was hinged so the box could be used just for fire or it could be used for cooking.

The grill was heavy duty, presumably, so that pots and skillets could be rested on it without deforming the bars, or a finer mesh could be rested on top for BBQing.

We would like to replicate this for the garden, and are looking for designs and pictures to show to the local forge.

This link

shows the kind of box although it is much larger than the ones we remember and doesn't have the lid for cooking. The addition of metal rods for strength is interesting.

I am Googling away like a mad thing but most US fire pits seem to be designer gas powered or just huge stone ones.

I think the size would be roughly 50cms/16" a side but might go a bit larger. Given the high cost of firewood in this country anything much larger would be expensive to light up. In the US we collected driftwood but that is not a reliable source in the UK.

I must have a picture somewhere amongst the thousands of pictures taken on the trip, but finding one could take a long while.

Anyone built one of these, or know of a design?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

The ones round here look remarkably like a 45 gal oil barrel cut in half and hinged with some old pig grating to support things over it. Steel plate at one end for cooked things to sit.

Whole lot sits in a welded steel frame.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Check these out Dave.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

HTH,

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Errr...check what out?

Think you missed off the URLs

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Thanks.

is the nearest - circular instead of square but essentially what I was looking for.

Most of the others seem to be 'park grills' which are raised charcoal burning BBQs. Nice, but not what I am looking for.

Will search for flip grate fire box.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Baz

Been through loads of those which show zillions of pictures.

I lost the will to live without finding a picture of the one I have used in the US.

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts