PTFE tape compression fittings

Just had some work done,normally I would dive in myself but I didn't have the time and the job would have taken me a week or more...

I was interested to note that all the compression fittings the plumber used have PTFE tape around the pipe extending from the fitting to a few mm out.

I remember using tape around leaky olives a few times usually because some enthusiastic "plumber" jumped up & down on his stillsons to get things "really" gas tight.

My only thoughts are that a layer of PTFE between olive and nut on a new fitting would lubricate the item a little and make it easier/ smoother to nip up.

I have had the odd fitting or two that isn't to easy to tighten and makes a noise akin to my knees in the morning when pressure is applied. Could this be the reason for the tape?

Reply to
Hugh Neary

PTFE on the threads will act as a lubricant - can be handy where you can't get easy access to tighten them - it reduces the effort needed, and as you say, also does away with the squeaking.

It ought not be needed over the olive as a general rule, although it can fix a weeping joint that just won't seal by tightening alone.

Reply to
John Rumm

When I was a lad we used jointing paste which was not always successful. PTFE really is a much better method.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Nice tip. Thanks.

Reply to
Jon Connell

Interesting that - I've always done the same but, a couple of years ago, I was fitting a new radiatior and couldn't stop a weep from one fitting. More PTFE didn't help so I tried a smear of Hawk White and it worked and is still helping. I've developed a habit of using a bit of paste on the threads and olive simply to lube the joint - makes a world of difference and is also a catch-all where the joint is difficult to get at.

Reply to
PeterC

The trouble is I use the squeaking to know when to stop. It squeaks then it judders and bit, then you stop. If it was too smooth I'd probably deform the pipe. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I do similar, but use LS-X instead. That does the same job in lubricating the threads and stopping any weeping, but it is much easier to clean off if you ever have to split and re-make the joint at a later date.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Especially if you use gas tape...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, I always use gas tape and a finger wipe of Castrol water pump grease over the ptfe and the threads. They always come apart years later without any problems.

Reply to
Capitol

I keep on reading about this stuff - must get some.

Reply to
PeterC

PTFE on the thread, fair enough ... but a new olive should provide seal to the cone ... an not need PTFE over it.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I use LSX where there is not olive ... thread to tread fitting, excellent stuff.

Reply to
Rick Hughes