compression fittings near other compression fittings

I know there was a recent thread about the right/wrong ways to tighten compression fittings to prevent water leaks. I don't know if this was mentioned but I'll throw in something that caught me out again yesterday: when you take a compression fitting apart, it is easy to accidentally loosen the one at the other end of a piece of pipe, just enough that it's hard to see the leak but you can find a small puddle under the bathroom sink a while later. So it's worth checking all of them in the vicinity.

(In this case, I undid the fitting at the bottom end of a flexible connector so I could slip the hollow hexagonal tool over the connector & tighten the nut on the wobbly tap. I discovered later that the compression fitting on the top of the service valve had worked very slightly loose.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

You should always grip the body of the fitting with a spanner/grips etc when you undo the nut. Prevents strain on the rest of the pipe system.

Reply to
harry

Well, I had one hand on a spanner on the nut that I was loosening, & the other one on a spanner on the hex end of the flexible connector, so I didn't have any more hands left to hold the service valve body & its top nut.

Reply to
Adam Funk

that does't always work though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Why can't compression fittings come with lugs so they can be screwed to the wall, to stop them wobbling when the nuts are tightened?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

you can get tap connectors which do exactly that.

Reply to
charles

I've never seen such a thing but it sounds interesting --- got a link?

Reply to
Adam Funk

I know

I wish I could do all my plumbing in half inch BSP

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog