OT:Somerset ... flood then freeze ?

Idly chatting with SWMBO yesterday, and I pondered if things could get much worse for Somersetians after being visit by Prince Charles, and she said "Well, it could freeze" ...

Wonder what the effects would be of all that floodwater freezing ? Apart from the obvious spike in drownings as idiots try skating on thin ice.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It depends on how hard it freezes and for how long. In 1963/4 when the thaw finally came the large chunks of melting ice simply clogged the water courses even more are just made things worse.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

In article , Jethro_uk scribeth thus

What was the point of him going down there, what can he do or will he do?...

Reply to
tony sayer

I don't think it was a reaction to the floods - the visit had been planned since last May, he just didn't let the floods put him off.

Under normal circumstances a freeze will usually reduce flood levels quite quickly, probably because they are usually associated with clear skies and hence no further rain.

Reply to
news

Possibly what he saw down there was the trigger for him telling his trust to give some money towards the clean up costs. The pictures from the trip may also trigger other charities to get in on the act.

It made a good photo opportunity.

Reply to
John Williamson

He had planned to go down there to discuss the problems from last years floods, but brought it forwards so he could see this years floods.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, I remember that, even around here we had lots of small floods due to this effect. Brian

Reply to
Brian_Gaff

Actually, he may not be able to do a great deal, but he does know that people might cringe at him saying things. He has to some extent inherited his Fathers plain speaking trait, and I doubt he would really care who's feathers he ruffled, but much of it will be behind closed doors I imagine.

I recall him visiting where I worked once, and I caught some of his plain speaking then, but it was merely in a corridor. A few home truthes to the chairman of a company can work wonders for getting defence contracts I gather. Brian

Reply to
Brian_Gaff

A bit of both, probably.

Reply to
S Viemeister

In message , Jethro_uk writes

Usually it's people running After their dogs

Actually, the large areas of flooded fields etc. are ideal for skating on, but generally, not that deep. Skating was common out on the Fens round here when it froze more regularly - apparently it was more often done on the flooded areas rather than they dykes.

Hasn't happened so much in recent years, but with the colder winters we have some years lately people have taken the chance

I imagine it is simialr on the Somerset Levels.

The lumps of ice that you get when it thaws can be a pain as they block up channels, sluices etc. slowly the drainage.

Reply to
chris French

Does it matter, Somerset is only somewhere people pass through on way to Cornwall isn't it ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Most of it is only about a foot deep, though

Reply to
newshound