Filling screw heads

What's the best thing for filling in screw heads or nail holes in wood these days, before painting?
Most fillers like Pollyfilla don't give a particularly smooth finish and often show through the paint. And can cause the screw to rust. Decorators caulk shrinks. Car body filler is too much effort. So is there anything better now available? Something like decorators caulk that doesn't shrink would be purrfect.
--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 01:07:41 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

The blue metal putty
On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 01:07:41 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

If you can sink the heads sufficiently you can use wood plugs, cross-cut from similar wood.
--
Frank Erskine

London SW

You have to rub filler down to get a smooth finish. Nail heads should be punched in. Screws need a decent countersink. It's also better if you use galvanaised nails and screws in these places.

I've been using this for a while & am very pleased with it http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Fixings_Index/Ready_Mixed_Filler/index.html
Excellent smooth finish, doesn't crack, quick drying.

Only downside it that it is relatively soft even when fully set. But everything else is excellent.
--
Rod

On 05/07/2013 08:20, polygonum wrote:

Ready mixed fillers are much of a muchness IME, fast setting and easy sanding. Not exactly smooth though. Polyfilla is better in that respect
On 05/07/2013 08:48, stuart noble wrote:

I think this stuff is phenomenally smooth. Certainly after light sanding, I often cannot detect where it is by eye.
--
Rod

There are various varieties of Polyfilla. 'Fine surface' is the best one for finishing off filled holes.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Thanks, Dave, I'll give it a try.
--
*Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.*

On Friday, July 5, 2013 1:07:41 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I find when filling holes in wood with filler, whether you smooth it off or sand it, and whether it tends to shrink or not, you get a telltale ring ar ound the interface between the wood and the filler. This is possibly caused by the wood swelling when the filler gets it wet, then shrinking back. Thus every so often along my picture rail, showing through the paint is a " ring". I would love to find a filler that does not do that. Maybe an exterior wood filler that is like epoxy would do. Simon.

Exactly the reason I asked the question.

I'm not sure I could be bothered with two part stuff - and the waste involved. I'm really looking for something in a tube, etc, ready for use.
--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.