Filling screw heads

What's the best thing for filling in screw heads or nail holes in wood these days, before painting?

Most fillers like Pollyfilla don't give a particularly smooth finish and often show through the paint. And can cause the screw to rust. Decorators caulk shrinks. Car body filler is too much effort. So is there anything better now available? Something like decorators caulk that doesn't shrink would be purrfect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The blue metal putty

Reply to
Ericp

If you can sink the heads sufficiently you can use wood plugs, cross-cut from similar wood.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You have to rub filler down to get a smooth finish. Nail heads should be punched in. Screws need a decent countersink. It's also better if you use galvanaised nails and screws in these places.

Reply to
harryagain

I've been using this for a while & am very pleased with it

Excellent smooth finish, doesn't crack, quick drying.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Only downside it that it is relatively soft even when fully set. But everything else is excellent.

Reply to
polygonum

Ready mixed fillers are much of a muchness IME, fast setting and easy sanding. Not exactly smooth though. Polyfilla is better in that respect

Reply to
stuart noble

I think this stuff is phenomenally smooth. Certainly after light sanding, I often cannot detect where it is by eye.

Reply to
polygonum

I find when filling holes in wood with filler, whether you smooth it off or sand it, and whether it tends to shrink or not, you get a telltale ring ar ound the interface between the wood and the filler. This is possibly caused by the wood swelling when the filler gets it wet, then shrinking back. Thus every so often along my picture rail, showing through the paint is a " ring". I would love to find a filler that does not do that. Maybe an exterior wood filler that is like epoxy would do. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Exactly the reason I asked the question.

I'm not sure I could be bothered with two part stuff - and the waste involved. I'm really looking for something in a tube, etc, ready for use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks, Dave, I'll give it a try.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are various varieties of Polyfilla. 'Fine surface' is the best one for finishing off filled holes.

Reply to
charles