Subject Author Posted Replies

Record time for a new apprentice getting a bollocking
10 minutes before he started his first shift:-)
6
6

Insulating inaccessible loft space
We have a not-very-deep loft over a kitchen extension that needs some more insulation. The extension has a single pitch roof supported by a very deep purlin with hangers connecting the purlin to a...
10
10

T4 vs T5 kitchen cupboard fluorescents
TLC supply two types of under cupboard fluorescents These using T5's and these using T4's The T4's listing saying they have electronic ballasts and are supplied with 4000k triphosphor tubes rather...
4
4

Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. (Eggborough to be closed)
Just seen on the news, Eggborough power station (2000 MW of generating capacity) is likely to be closed because the government has decided to ration the grants that would make Biomass fuel practicable...
8
8

Microsoft Word
I see Microsoft are wanting 110 for a copy of Word 2013. I want to update my Word 2003 - but not at that price. Can you still get the versions between 2003 and 2013 ? Jim Hawkins
72
72

OT: "Wind costs four times as much in the UK"
"A damning report from the Policy Exchange urges the government to hold the wind industry to its pledge to slash costs by the end of the decade. UK families are paying £95 per MWh for onshore wind,...
7
7

Lifting loft flooring
Very large loft is all floored with standard loft boarding. 2/3 of which of the boards are nailed down, at least 4 nails per sheet, using what looks like 4" nails with minimal to no insulation...
17
17

PC problem
I keep getting adverts sometimes sound only in the background with Firefox. I also getting a lot of Pop up style boxes claiming I'm the lucky winner, yet pops ups are supposedly blocked. I just cant...
11
11

Brick road making machine
Wouldn't the road be a bit bumpy? BRICK ROAD MAKING MACHINE
3
3

crabtree flat plate 1gang 2 way switch innards - available?
Had a short on a light fitting. Tripped the mcb & rcd. Repaired fault and went to switch light on, to discover switch now "always on" and not turnable off?!?! It now won't break elec. contact and...
11
11

Reflective non-slip external paint - supplier?
I need to paint the edges of a small number of external steps to make them easier to see in the dark. Can anyone suggest a source of suitable paint? Google hasn't been any use.
4
4

What they don't point out about loft insulation
So, she comes in from "Dancin", has lunch and goes upstairs to change. She then informs me that there is water dripping from the bedroom ceiling. I investigate the report and she is correct. A slow...
5
5

OT: Transferring a large file between 2i iPads
Daughter and a friend were working on a movie on an iPad, and now want to transfer the finished product to the other iPad. Problem is: - They are both school iPads, so they are not allowed to install...
36
36

Power tool history
Browsing around the interweb & found some of this. One thing lead to another... Interesting how old some of these power tools are & how many brand names are still about. Electric Drill 1895 the first...
3
3

That's the Christmas Cracker sorted
Swapped the insides of the cracker from a cheap toy and crap joke for an engagement ring and a piece of paper that says "will you marry me?". 10 days to go
117
117