step from door to patio

I am sorting out the patio at last. Most is straight forward but I was wond ering if we need a step. The height from floor to patio will be the common

2 bricks i.e. 150mm. On the face of it, 6 inches is no more than a normal s taircase, but you have to step forward over the PVCu sill, so it feels furt her. If a step was put in it could be level with the sill (with a small gap ) or tucked in below the sill, then a rather shallow approx 3" down to the patio. Should I put in a step or not ? Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

Why not try it without a step and add one if you find it necessary? I doubt you will; it sounds much like the exit from my conservatory and that causes me no problem.

Reply to
Nightjar

I've just done exactly that with new patio flags - but in our case there is a back (kitchen) door as well as the patio doors. SWMBO was never very happy about the step down from either, even though for other reasons it is a bit less than your two bricks. As per Colin's suggestion I first put in a shallow step by the kitchen door, but not by the patio doors. She is now much happier with the situation, finding the back door with step much easier, and is happy to be just more careful with the patio doors.

Back door step is tucked in under the sill, and is a little over 3" in height - using two 24" square flags. Muscle memory took over quickly for both of us, and now we don't notice it's there.

I think in the end it will depend on how often you will be using the patio doors - regular route, or summer days only.

Charles F

Reply to
Charles F

You need the step.

You can get uPVC doors without the "sill" ie with just a strip of aluminium so you don't get the trip hazard.

Reply to
harryagain

It is the regular route - the french doors both open for summer, and the le ft hand one as the regular back door. I was thinking the step needs to be built in to the patio, but such a shall ow step could just be a couple of slabs on top of each other since there is not enough space to actually "build" a step. In which case this could safe ly be put in afterwards if needed. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

There are various low sill / threshold doors available I know. I put the si ll in a brick down, so the theshold is very low (20mm) but the sill is stil l there. I can see how it could be a trip hazard going into the house if your foot g ot caught underneath as you are stepping up. But seeing as so many doors ar e put in like this without a step, I'll probably build the patio without, a nd then add a step if we need it. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

That's what I did. two slabs laid on the other slabs on a thick mortar base.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher