Adding single step on patio

My patio is about 14 inches lower than the floor inside the house. I would therefore like to build a single step on the patio. The patio is paved with 17 1/2 inch square slabs.

I was thinking of building the step by placing 6 slabs (3 long 2 wide) on top of a single layer of bricks, with mortar between the bricks slabs.

Can I lay the bricks on top of the existing paving slabs or should I take up six slabs and build some sort of foundation for the step? if so, how is it best to do this?

Should I join the bricks supporting the step to the wall of the house or leave a small gap?

Any better suggestions, e.g. should I just use wood and decking boards to build the step?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth

Yes, you can provided that existing slabs are stable.

I would leave a gap if there is any chance they would bridge the DPC, and in any case its a good idea to stop them splashing the wall ..but if the step top is still below DPC, its not a huge issue. Outside walls do get splashed, and unless its on the north side where a damp wall may frost and spall, it probably does no great harm.

My solution ha sbeen to end 3-6" shot under the door cill and fill space with shingle, to helo local frdariange.

No.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks. That is the answer I was hoping for :)

Reply to
Gareth