Garden Lighting

I am toying with the idea of installing some decorative lighting in my small garden.

To be worthwhile, I am not considering solar-powered devices, and imagine that a low voltage distribution system would be the way to go.

I'm aware that this is as long as a piece of string, but wonder if anyone has any experience of particularly good value equipment, or kit with which they have been particularly pleased or disappointed.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I have the cheapest of cheap solar lights and have no problem. Obviously they are useless for providing illumination, but work perfectly for decorative purposes.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

My main gripe on the plastic ones is that the UV and frost seems to get at those frosty globe things made of plastic almost on a yearly basis, and also the insulation displacement connections on the lamps and psu tend to go intermittent as no attempt seems to be made to stop the weather getting inside them.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I want to light the trees and shrubs, but don't need access lights.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

For decorative purposes we use the solar lights and treat them as disposables. Most last for over a year, while some have lasted up to 3 or 4 years. I agree with Philip's comments and most of ours cost a pound or so.

For lighting paths, they're fine, but for lighting eg steps not usually up to it unless you use the larger panelled lights.

For garden interest, try to have some little spotlights to gave a bit more light to particular plants/ corners, our few spots were inexpensive but good value.

(our nearest street lamp is about a mile away and we get a decent amount of sun here)

John

Reply to
JTM

I would make my own LED lamps. LED lights are stupid prices, so the options are to make your own (probably starting with a fitting you like which is suitable for adapting) or to find an outside light which takes MR16's, and use retrofit MR16 LEDs in it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well, I have the good fortune to be retired, and can spend as much time looking at the garden as I wish.

My partner still works. For much of the year, by the time we sit down to eat, with patio doors overlooking the garden, it is dark outside. This being the case, she only sees the garden in daylight at weekends.

It occurred to me that it might be pleasant to install a few discreetly located lights so that the evening prospect was a little more interesting.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Obviously enough, don't do what the previous owner of my house did: run a spur out the back of a wall socket through the outside wall and into the garden.

Reply to
Jon Connell

provided it's RCD protected, what's the problem?

Reply to
charles

Whilst true, it wouldn't make enough difference in spring and autumn.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It wasn't.

Oh, and the hole wasn't sealed either so there was a lot of water seeping through into the socket.

Reply to
Jon Connell