Anti spider spray?

We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded, cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo. Are there any sprays that will keep them away? Don't really bother me too much but I've been 'persuaded' to do something about it. Don't really want to kill the blighters, but if that's what it takes... well they've had enough warnings.

Thanks.

Reply to
Simon Cee

You would only kill the ones that are there. With an estimated one million spiders per acre, there will be plenty of others waiting to take their place.

Reply to
Nightjar

Yep, am hoping for some persistent type stuff that will deter them. Will obviously need regular respray, but hopefully something exists that is easier than brushing

Reply to
Simon Cee

We have used Kleeneze spray *inside* because I was fed up with fairly big, quick sods coming in behind the brickwork fireplace in the lounge. I haven't seen one now for at least three years - now's about the time of year. Could be pure chance but I don't think so. We still get the odd small one but I suspect the cat !! Whether or not it would work in a garage, I've no idea.This one is based on peppermint oil but some use nut oil ISTR.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

When I had my home foundry at the bottom of my garden at the last house that also used to fill up with webs. I found that a quick blast around the place with the huge gas poker I used for lighting the furnace kept them at bay for a few weeks :) Mine you I had built it totally from non-flammable materials so there was no danger of fire, but the smell wasn't pleasant :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Ahem... Have used a weed burner before - fire being my second choice for most problems after angle-grinder. Worked well but once a trapped leaf caught fire and made so much smoke I thought it had spread to roof space. It hadn't, but scared pants off me.

Non flame solutiions only pls.

Reply to
Simon Cee

Plenty of things here, including ultrasonic deterrents and non-harmful sprays.

Chris Hogg

Mothballs? Might be worth a try.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I think that's the answer ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Used Spiderex on CCTV cameras , they love the IR LEDS, needs recoating every few months

Permethrin seems to be main ingredient, not cat friendly

Chesnut is a natural spider repellent

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Budgie ?

We get plagued with spiders nests clinging to the textured bricks on the ou tside of the house. They are very difficult to remove. Power washing is ine ffective and deck brush tedious and slow. However,every dog has its day, an d most years there is no problem. Perhaps this has something to do with the life cycle of one of their natural predators. It does mean that even if yo u do nothing the problem may cure itself. Besides they are reputed to be fa stidious and only like clean places.

Be thankful you don't live in Australia

FF to 0.40

Reply to
fred

You need to man up. Spiders hurt no-one.

Reply to
harryagain

Not available as a spray but it could be an effective solution.

The Other Mike

That used to be the propellant in Baikal shotgun cartridges, which some clubs banned for being excessively loud.

Reply to
Nightjar

keeps my cctv cameras free of spiders for about 4 months.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Conkers. No I'm not insulting you, Horse Chestnuts have a reputation for discouraging spiders. Autumn isn't that far away now and if you can beat the kids to them then at least some can be gathered free and tried out.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Many thanks chaps. The spiderex stuff gets good reviews - I'll give it a trry.

Reply to
Simon Cee

There's an hilarious review on Amazon.

Reply to