Subject Author Posted Replies

Wot's this ere thing in the motor box?
Hi, You know those capacitor start motors? What is the other thing in the box along with the capacitor (it's bound in with a microswitch).Whatever it is,mine's gone open circuit so the motor can't...
2
2

Bosch wallpaper stripper - repair dodgy element?
Just broken out my Bosch PTL1 stripper ( to start a decorating project, but it's up the creek - once it's up to temperature, it's cycling on and off about every 15 secs. The problem is not pressure-...
1
1

OT:MP4 oddity
I know there's some experts here ... Have some paid-for downloaded MP4 podcasts (Richard Herring). They play beautifully on my PC. They also play beautifully on my TV through my Cyclone media player....
3
3

How to test for dormer roof leak.
A couple of months ago I posted "How to approach builder's problem?". Since then after a period of negotiations the builder has agreed a refund and I am now looking at moving on with hopes of sorting...
10
10

Joining rainwater downpipe
I have a few angles to form in plastic (uPVC) downpipe that don't correspond to any available fittings, so thought the simple way would be to cut and join the pipe. What would be a good idea to join...
3
3

LED lighting install issues
Hi everyone, I'm currently having new lighting fitted in my flat: LED downlights and so me LED linears. I purchased the downlights directly from the supplier - John Cullen. I'm h aving a few problems...
4
4

electrical supply to hob
Our electric induction hob will not power up. It is by Miele, usually a good make. It has power, it is not locked. Miele have been and tested it and say it is getting a maximum of 130 volts and I...
4
4

Lidl offers
http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=363
8
8

Rivnut tool
I have a cheap rivnut tool (4,5 6,8mm) which has been fine for occasional use. I've got a project coming up which will need lots of 3mm SS rivnuts, and I'll need a new tool as mine only goes down to...
12
12

Wireing Garden Lights
Friend has 1 mtr high railway sleeper retaining wall with gravel behind it. She wants 9 plastic bulkhead type lights 240 volt, 17 watt on it with the wiring hidden so drill through sleepers and run my...

Replacing the guts of a thumbwheel firevalve....
Wasn't trivial. New firevalve was dismantled and had lots more O-rings, so tried to fit the whole top assy. Wouldn't tighten! wrong thread, so ended up using the actual main barrel housing (in situ)...

How to beef up bouncy chipboard floors (withot replacing)?
Hi All, Some of the upstairs chipboard floors in my house are annoyingly soft underfoot. The reason is that the chipboard sections have been sawn in order to lift them and install central heating...
12
12

Unwanted panel fence concrete post - cut down?
Behind our shed is the remnants of a panelled fence (concrete posts, fence panels, concrete boards at the foot) which extends into the visible area. In the visible area, we want to retain the fence...
4
4

Garden Lighting
I am toying with the idea of installing some decorative lighting in my small garden. To be worthwhile, I am not considering solar-powered devices, and imagine that a low voltage distribution system...
10
10

Sticky photo album
I have an old (~30-40 years old) photos album with photos that I wish to digitise/scan. Unfortunately the album if of the type where each page is made up of a sticky surface and a transparent film...
12
12