Subject Author Posted Replies

re wiring light switch post
I note that my existing dimmer switch is not connected to an earth, it is the chrome type but that maybe chrome coated plastic. The new switch also has an earth point on the case chrome but again not...
20
20

Clear cable on light fitting?
Installed a ceiling light yesterday The cable & chain were a good metre long so had to be shortened. The cable had a transparent outer with three wires also with transparent insulation. The ends had...
1
1

An example for Dave
MEPs just voted against a British attempt to exempt private ports from the EU's disastrous Ports Services Directive. Every British MEP voted to exempt our ports; but we were outvoted.
10
10

Insurance
Anyone any views on suitable unoccupied home renovation insurers?
13
13

OT(ish) - lies, damned lies and ballet dancers (Grauniad)
Warning - long ramble. Interesting use of statistics. "The average 10-minute shower uses 60 litres of water. A power shower uses three times that and a bath about 80 litres. So a family of four each...
100
100

LEDs & Conventional Fluoros on same circuit?
HI Folks. I've previously sung the praises of / .ie for their GU10 Led lamps, which have proved to me much more reliable than the 'cheapie' eBay bulbs in our shop lighting. In my stained-glass lamps,...
8
8

Making a dry joint
I need to recreate a dry joint half a dozen times. So I'm trying to find a substance like a lacquer I can put on component lea ds so they can't be soldered too. The reason :- to make some boards that...
59
59

Flaking old emulsion paint - skim coat?
Hi friends, In my old stone-built house, I have stripped the woodchip wallpaper off the large wall in the stairwell, and underneath, I find that it was painted wi th cheap emulsion, much of which is...
6
6

OT: You couldn't make it up
Or, April 1 is early this year. The horrifying thing is, they may not be having a laugh at all. Glaciers, gender, and science: A feminist glaciology framework for global environmental change research...
58
58

Wiring light switch
What wires go where from dimmer switch to normal light switch. In the image wire 1 is live when dimmer off, when switched on 1,2 & 3 are live.
10
10

Source of small fuel hose.
I bought one of these last year: I left petrol in the tank over the winter and when I came to use it last week I found (incredibly) that the petrol pipe was broken and degraded and I could pick it...
13
13

Glue gun
Any issues with getting a cheap glue gun (£7 eBay with glue sticks) It will be rarely used. Never owned one before so have not a clue, but obviously dont want to purchase and then have to bin it.
13
13

Power shower & RCD plug
I have a Mira Vigour power shower - it draws H & C from the tanks, it doesn't have a heater, just a pump. It's 3 years old. It's connected via an RCD plug as per instructions. Switched it on tonight,...
5
5

Aldi specials now available online
Noting the popularity of some DIY-related Aldi specials I thought the group might be interested to hear that they are now available online: Delivery is £3 (free for a short while). Could be a game...
6
6

OT NHS Dentistry - is it dead
Seems a state of affairs exists in at least some dental practices which imho masquerade as NHS but really are flytraps for the NHS underclass. I was just offered an appointment at practice X for......
23
23