Worcester-Bosch boiler servicing

I generally work on the principle that if it's not broke you don't fix it unless, like a car engine, for example, it clearly needs some TLC like an oil change from time-to-time.
So how often does a boiler *need* to be serviced?

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 18:42:52 +0000, F wrote:

Mostly the service interval is every 12 months.

That doesn't answer the question though. Unfortunately the best one can say in general is that "it depends".
If the boiler is in a position to get clean dust free air and is well designed it can probably go years without service safely. As all new boilers are room sealed you could probably argue that they could all be left until the break down BUT our boiler had a faulty seal on the combustion chamber that would have been replaced at a service (had we had one).
Despite it being (in my opinion) a "safety critical" fault, there was no recall (or customer notification) as it was a part that would have been replaced during a service.
So, unless you can get boiler specific advice, I think an occasional service *before* a breakdown probably isn't a bad idea.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Not actually convinced regular servicing makes any difference to the number of breakdowns. It might make more sense to wait for a breakdown and have a 'service' then. But it makes sense for the owner to do regular inspections to check for water leaks or anything obviously amiss, like a change in performance.
--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

I thought that water leaks made themselves a bit obvious!
--
Adam

On Friday, 30 December 2016 19:01:19 UTC, ARW wrote:

Not always. I recently found one when pulling an appliance out - the slab was saturated, but no visible sign of problem until appliance pulled out.
NT

Depends on how big the leak is.
--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

That's how often it is usually done, That doesn't answer the question.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

but "why"?
My flat is now about 8 years old
I would stake my annual salary that the previous occupant did not get the boiler serviced during her 5 years of ownership (as a 20 something girly she probably didn't know it needed doing)
and when I moved in, whilst it was on my list of things to do on the "it aint broke so don't fix it" basis I kept on putting it off until last summer.
When the guy came all he did was sick his measuring devices in the appropriate places, fiddled with the controls for a bit, and after about an hour declared it OK, filled in a form and gave me the top copy.
All he said was that the length of the run of the exhaust/air intake pipe was a bit marginal. But as a flat there is no way that it could be changed even if it were wrong.
Calling this a "service" is a gross exaggeration IMHO and the idea that it needs to be performed annually ridiculous
tim
F wrote:

My W-B is in its 3rd winter from new with no servicing. I did have the cover off to make some wires for monitoring and noticed that the condensate syphon did have some gritty looking crap in the bottom so it there is some in there then there is possibly some in the sump of the burner too so maybe that indicates I ought to service it sometime next year perhaps?
On 27/12/2016 21:07, Bob Minchin wrote:

Ours, too, is in its third winter since the cover was last off and someone who knew what he was looking at pronounced it 'OK'.
Perhaps I ought to get him round again soon...

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 21:13:07 +0000, F wrote:

Our WB hadn't been touched for nearly 4 years. Then it failed.
Turned out a seal had failed and fried the wiring harness. And a few other things. The guy ended up replacing most of the innards, bar the wet bits.
Luckily it was a prearranged fixed price repair...

Thing is would that seal have been replaced during routine yearly servicing?
--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

I explicitly look for this on the Keston, and replace them as needed, so far before any catastrophic failure.
I am a lot less certain a heating engineer would do so though.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Bob Eager wrote:

Bob, Out of interest and maybe something I should check on mine, which seal was it that failed and which is the model of your boiler please.
Another Bob!
On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 16:57:12 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

Sorry, don't know which seal but I think it may have been something to do with the flue! Had a look for the details but can't find them.
It's a WB 24Ri.
Bob Eager wrote:

OK Thanks Bob It is the same model as mine. I'll dig out the service/installation manual and see if it is obvious which one might be the vulnerable one.

Dunno about WB but our Vaillant fried its seal that goes around the front of the combustion chamber. This led to much of the innards getting slowly frazzled.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 21:07:19 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

You might find that the 10-year warranty on new W-B boilers requires regular servicing on the manufacturer's schedule. OOps!
On 28/12/2016 13:29, mechanic wrote:

There is quite a lot of law on the servicing of cars to maintain a warranty, does any of this extend to boilers?
There is also the Sales of Goods Act, and although there is a 6 year time limit. Perhaps it could be argued that that the clock can start any time in the 10 year warranty period. Bosch would have to provide evidence the fault was caused by the lack of maintenance, or be apparent in a service and hence avoidable, which IMHO would be unlikely.
Its another reason I don't buy things on the basis of their warranty. Their small print is set to get you.
Added to UK.legal