Worcester-Bosch boiler servicing

I explicitly look for this on the Keston, and replace them as needed, so far before any catastrophic failure.

I am a lot less certain a heating engineer would do so though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There is quite a lot of law on the servicing of cars to maintain a warranty, does any of this extend to boilers?

There is also the Sales of Goods Act, and although there is a 6 year time limit. Perhaps it could be argued that that the clock can start any time in the 10 year warranty period. Bosch would have to provide evidence the fault was caused by the lack of maintenance, or be apparent in a service and hence avoidable, which IMHO would be unlikely.

Its another reason I don't buy things on the basis of their warranty. Their small print is set to get you.

Added to UK.legal

Reply to
Fredxxx

I had a W-B for seven years without a service. When it broke W-B fixed it for a standard charge including parts. It then went for another three years before another repair was needed.

Apart from that the only attention it needed was to remove the grit from the condensate syphon. After several years it had built up enough to cause it to overflow. It's a trivial job to remove it and empty it and thereafter check it from time to time.

Reply to
DJC

I tend to agree Dave. Annual service cost for the typical lifetime of the boiler will be pretty close to the price of a new one. Best to put the service charge amount in a savings account and fund repairs/replacement from that.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

As is the case with extended warranties that the likes of Domestic and General and Currys try to sell.

That's what insurance is all about. Really useful at the end of the period when spares may not be available and replacement is the only option.

Reply to
mechanic

Bob, Out of interest and maybe something I should check on mine, which seal was it that failed and which is the model of your boiler please.

Another Bob!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Sorry, don't know which seal but I think it may have been something to do with the flue! Had a look for the details but can't find them.

It's a WB 24Ri.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Dunno about WB but our Vaillant fried its seal that goes around the front of the combustion chamber. This led to much of the innards getting slowly frazzled.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You have an insurance policy which will pay to replace the boiler when spares are no longer available? How much does it cost a year?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK Thanks Bob It is the same model as mine. I'll dig out the service/installation manual and see if it is obvious which one might be the vulnerable one.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

If you have house insurance, check the small print (probably on page 74a!) for a requirement that gas, electricity, water and oil appliances need to be serviced to the manufacturers recommendations otherwise the insurance is invalid for a claim involving them. Just another way that insurance companies can wriggle out of paying claims.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

We were talking W-B, who quote 10yrs warranty included in the installed price.

Reply to
mechanic

£2k for two boilers, installed? I don't think so.
Reply to
mechanic

Discourages these d-i-y types from cocking things up, then claiming for a replacement.

Reply to
mechanic

I thought that water leaks made themselves a bit obvious!

Reply to
ARW

Not always. I recently found one when pulling an appliance out - the slab was saturated, but no visible sign of problem until appliance pulled out.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If WB provide a 10 year warranty, I'd expect them to keep spares available throughout that period? If not, how can they honour that warranty?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite possible if you find an honest plumber.

More than possible if you DIY.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on how big the leak is.