Worcester-Bosch boiler servicing

They can replace it with the latest model if they need to. That is how it works with most stuff now.

Reply to
John

- shows prices across the range. The really low end ones come in at less than £1k, but then you need a Gas-safe registered installer to make it all legal. Are you registered?

Reply to
mechanic

What makes you think you need to be registered to fit a boiler for free, including your own boiler?

I grant you there are some exceptions like a landlord can't fit a tenant's boiler but can you cite the statute that says I can't fit my own boiler in my own house?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Why would I need to be registered to fit my own boiler?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was a Viessmann system boiler I fitted. Bought new at a very good discount from Ebay. Viessmann technical were very helpful with the weather compensation mods - even having been told it was a DIY installation. (the instructions for configuring the boiler to w.c. after changing the programmer seemed to have been written in Klingon.)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

mechanic

mechanic

They would say that, wouldn't they?

In fact, the *law* says that you may do gas work if you are 'competent', as long as it is not done for reward; in that case you do not have to be on the Gas Safe Register (or in the 'class of persons', as the legislation has it).

Reply to
Bob Eager

And the correct answer is, despite the toss promulgated by Gas Safe and moronic c*ck-suckers like "mechanic" is "No".

Reply to
Huge

Thank you. Gas Safe definition of "work" is a professional, being paid.

The article uses obfuscation as a means of promoting its own ends. I recommend you look at the primary legislation which your linked document conveniently leaves out.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I think you are being too kind. It says in so many words that you may not take the cover off your own boiler, if it involves dismantiing. Since it is unlikely that anyone would pay you to do this, I interpret this as a plain lie about the law - although no doubt sufficient sophistry would allow them to argue that if you don't know they're lying you aren't competent for the purpose; and therefore that they are telling the truth!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Quoting how a trade organisation interprets a law might be fine for you - but doesn't mean it is the law. Basically they are telling half truths at best.

What they do mean - but don't say it - is this only applies to tradesman. It is lies as regards DIY in your own property.

Corgi before them tried exactly the same con.

However, since you obviously believe working on gas requires some sort of black magic skills, best you personally leave it to a registered pro. And hope he is actually competent. As the vast majority of fires etc caused by faulty gas appliances and pipework involved pro installations.

Put it this way. If a competent DIYer can install and entire house's plumbing including the central heating in copper well and safely, why would it need some form of 'highly trained' pro to modify gas piping?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And the name Corgi is now associated with a different kind of con.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Except paragraph in question is below "What gas work can I do myself?" "Gas work" usage by Gas Safe, and Corgi before them, implies paid work and doesn't say I can't take my own cover off.

The intention is to use words in such a way to deceive, something I find more than distasteful.

Like electrical work, the more plausible it is to say a gas plumber did the work, the less likely for any action to be taken against a DIYer where he claims he didn't carry out the work. And of course paid 'cash' for fitting it.

If you recall the dead MP's daughter no one seemed to know who routed the cable in question. There still isn't any onus on the homeowner to keep a record of who did what work and when?

Reply to
Fredxxx

And is capable of testing leak-tightness. Something that is trivially easy to do.

I've been less than impressed when watching gas fitters soldering pipes and the way they don't bother to clean the copper beforehand.

Mind, I've gone OTT and tinned / wiped copper pipe before final soldering, especially when fitting to older pipework.

Reply to
Fredxxx

If you had run that cable in such a stupid way you'd be likely to remember you did it?

If it was done before you bought the house, pointless trying to attribute blame anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably the thinking is that the penalty for mistakes is much higher for gas work. No doubt the gas safe certified installers make mistakes too (Which? evidences this) but how would anyone know if a d-i-y installer is 'competent'? Probably the emphasis on H&S comes from long history of coroner's reports.

Reply to
mechanic

You're welcome. The definition of 'work' is in terms of activities, not personal qualities (top of the FAQ I referenced).

Reply to
mechanic

  1. I installed my own boiler in 1988. It hasn't blown up yet.
  2. I asked the man who services our theatre boilers about DIY work. He went away and checked and told me it is perfectly legal to work on your own boiler.
Reply to
charles

Forget the biased FAQ. Have you looked at the actual legislation?

Reply to
Bob Eager