strange way to measure rubber ring with micrometer

strange way to measure rubber ring with micrometer! Scroll down to pic.

jake

I assume you mean that the *internal* jaws would have been a better way to do it.

Reply to
newshound

Well, more that the way shown in the picture doesn't offer much in the way of a real measurement at all does it, especially if using a verity of verniers?

The only reason one might not use the internal jaws might be in case you cut the belt?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Or get any measurement you like by stretching?

Reply to
F Murtz

Well, yes, but I have measured things like that and you can generally get a measurement before say the belt goes completely tight. That will give you a ballpark figure at least and possibly easier / more accurate than trying to measure the diameter or circumference of a 'live' often non-circular rubber 'band'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

One other method is to try and find a round object that it just fits on then measure that

Reply to
F Murtz

Yes to all. Just how the angled-sides of the jaws could be thought to measure with any degree of accuracy I dion't know. Apart from the belt sliding toward the pointy end, it's at an angle on the jaws - the width of which are "undefined" :-) Just wonder how they thought measuring like that could in any way give a sensible answer. Looks like guesswork.

Reply to
jake

Quite, weird.

Yup ... and potentially varied across a range of makes etc. Now, it might make some sense to use it that way if you have a box of different size belts you wish to sort but not as a explicit value to sell them by.

Well, I guess if the difference in size between the alternative belts available for that role was larger than the errors in that form of measurement then it could be ok?

Like say you needed a mate to get you a screwdriver that was 'about as long as a house brick then that could be good enough 'measure'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m