Of course my garbage disposal had to break THIS way

So I'm cleaning up the kitchen last night after getting the kids to bed, running some water in the sink as I rinse dishes. The side of the sink with the disposal starts to fill up a bit, so I do the usual

- click on the disposal to clear the junk out and let the water flow. Except this time the water didn't begin flowing. I heard the motor run when I flipped the switch, but nothing happened. I pull out the rubber piece in the sink, put on a glove and reach in a bit (yes, I know this is ill-advised). There is, of course, a bunch of food in there. I take a moment to scoop out as much as I can and then shine a flashlight into the disposal. I see in there the nut that holds the flywheel to the spinning bolt, but the nut is not in the middle like it should be. I fish out the nut and it's got part of the bolt still in it. In short, the bolt that come up the middle from the motor has broken and the top portion of the bolt is still in the nut. Good grief. I set the fly wheel back in the center so that I can see the top of the bolt, and then turn on the motor briefly. Yep, the bolt still turns, but without the nut holding the flywheel to the bolt, the flywheel just sits there. Off to google, search string "garbage disposal repair". Tons of results for things like unclogging a disposal, resetting a disposal, but nothing that addresses my situation.

So what do you think? Is this fixable, or is a replacement disposal the only viable way to go? If I do end up getting a plan to fix the unit, it seems like pulling teh disposal from the sink will be the only way to get down into the guts where the bolt meets the motor.

Thanks for any info/advice.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Obviously not in warranty. Age--does it pay to repair vs getting a new one? Removing it and bringing it in to a repair shop might save an expensive service call and let you answer that question. Why not give the manufacturer's customer service a call? MLD

Reply to
MLD

Even if it can be repaired most likely it is not worth the effort. I have never taken one apart but I highly suspect that the bolt is an extended shaft on the motor, (much like a fan with a long shaft). If I am correct about that the motor armature would have to be replaced.

Even if it were a simple pull, repair install you would have all the parts and gaskets to buy.

I replaced ours last Fall and moved up to the $160 model from Lowes. It is much quieter and does a much better job.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

1-800-NEW-DISPOSER
Reply to
Bitzer

Opinion: Had one many many years ago. Was heavy duty model by look of it, one third HP IIRC. Worked OK for several years in a domestic four person situation, then something in it broke. Would never bother again. Just another piece of AC powered small machinery that will eventually need repair or replacement! We later ran a small catering business, doing some of the cooking etc. at home and never needed such a device. Summary 'An unnecessary item'! Also possibly dangerous if someone misused it?

Reply to
terry

This may be bolted to the motor instead of being a part of the motor's shaft. You would need to take it apart and see which is the case. if it's a part of the motor shaft it probably would be less expensive to buy a new disposal. If its not you may be able to repair it.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Mike wrote the following:

Remove the disposer and replace it with a piece of drain pipe. What do you need a disposal for? Dumping pieces of garbage into your septic tank, or worse, the municipal sewer system, which has to work extra to remove that crap before they release the treated water into the waterways? Get a cheap garbage can and scrape the waste from the dishes into it. I hear some places actually have some kind of service where trucks come and pick up the garbage for you. Of course there is a fee.

Reply to
willshak

I would use this excuse to get a new one, at least 3/4 hp. If it was worn enough for the nut to come off, other things should be equally worn. And I don't know if one could get down in there and torque that nut down sufficiently to keep it from doing a repeat performance.

Garbage disposers have become a disposable item, but are still a few bucks by the time you buy all the stuff you will need to change it. But it sure is nice to have the thing working right again, and work for a long time.

Steve

Visit my blog at

Steve B

Most people don't like scooping bits of crud and various foodstuffs, peelings, chicken guts, etc. from the drain into a garbage can (yuck). Garbage disposals are practically standard equipment in modern kitchens. They save time, avoid messes, and are very convenient. It's so nice to wipe off everything right off your counters directly into the undermount sink and flip a switch.

Reply to
mike

Why would you do that? Scrape leftovers off the plates straight into the can. Dump the cutting board straight into the can too. Why create the extra operation of moving the waste foodstuffs to the sink and then scooping them into the can?

Reply to
mkirsch1

Are you supposed to wash your dishes in the garbage can? Are you supposed to wash off food and meat in a garbage can? I don't think so.

You do food prep where there is running water. That place is the sink, not the garbage can.

Reply to
mike

re: "Why create the extra operation of moving the waste foodstuffs to the sink and then scooping them into the can?"

Sometimes it's not as easy as "scrape leftovers off the plates straight into the can" ... at least not in my kitchen.

Consider bits of food left in the bottom of a can being rinsed for the recycling bin, food mixed with liquids (e.g. soup) being tossed from the fridge, cooked food stuck to a frying or roasting pan, etc.

All of these are much more easily dealt with under running water, which is going to result in food scrapes in the sink.

I'm not arguing for or against disposers, I'm simply stating that I can't imagine being able to avoid ending up with food waste in the sink - at least not in my kitchen, or any kitchen that I have ever cooked in.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have to wonder if putting food down the disposal is any worse for the earth than putting it in the garbage where it will sit in a land- fill. I thought a disposal WAS earth friendly (excessive water use notwithstanding).

Anyhow, I thought about this idea of NOT having a disposal while home for lunch (this was easy since my broken disposal is the one under discussion). I stood at the sink with a bowl of soft Cheerios and milk that would normally have gone down the disposal. Seems like a hassle to pour out the milk and try to keep the cereal in the bowl so I can then put it in the garbage. In this case, I dumped it in the other sink bowl and just smashed the Cheerios down through the basket.

Looks like I'll be watching some videos on disposal replacement. There are a ton of seemingly good ones available.

Thanks for all the replies, folks!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Uh, how can you tell it does a "better job" without inspecting the, uh, you know...

Reply to
HeyBub

The builder installed model would not eat a single onion skin. Nor could it handle more than one potato peeling.

This one makes very short work of onion skins or the peelings from 3 pounds of potatoes.

I have not needed the plunger since I installed it.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Yes, I think you're right Mike, replacement is the best bet for you.

If it happened to me, I might just waste some time disassembling the disposer to see if I could chuck the motor armature in my lathe and drill and tap the end of its shaft to accept a piece of threaded rod to replace the busted off stud. But. judging from your OP, that's likely not something you could do.

Jeff (With time to kill and a penchant for gaining enjoyment from fixing the unfixable.)

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

I agree..Disposers are a waste of money and bad for the septic system....Put you veggie peelings , ect. in your mulch pile and left over food in the garbage where it belongs...

Reply to
benick

P.S. Aside from all the convenience and time-savings, my garbage disposal has already paid for itself in reduced garbage pick-up rates alone. I'd have to pay for an extra container each week without it.

Reply to
mike

I take the drain off my disposal and use it to make coleslaw. Also use it to make milk shake smoothies.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk