Of course my garbage disposal had to break THIS way

Not trying to piss you off, but why would you put so much stuff down the GD? That stuff goes in the trash or compost.

By dumping solids you're overloading your town's waste-water treatment facilities or your septic system.

Reply to
JimT

Because I don't like rotting food sitting around the house. I don't like the smell or the pests.

Nonsense.

Reply to
krw

We eat boneless breasts (and legs/thighs, BTW) too but not *every* night. Depending on the mood (not mine ;) and the price we also eat a lot of bone-in chicken.

I don't want the critters around the house and the stuff stinks, particularly after a week in the summer sun. I don't want the flies, either. There is no food in our "garbage" so no smell, no critter scattering it, and no flies.

Reply to
krw

In my house it all goes down the disposer.

As long as that's not the only place she's cooking. ...though that "peeling" part sounds painful.

Reply to
krw

Hi, If it is quite old(~10 years) time for a new unit. I replaced my old ISE unit with new direct replacement stainless steel model. Did not even take one hour. Good luck.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hmmm, I think you are the nonsense.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

But you don't think.

Reply to
krw

I dissagree.

Just quickly scan the PDF doc. Back in the 70s when I was still trying to figure out what I wanted to major in, I took some waste-water treatment courses at NMSU. I changed my mind about my major but I did manage to learn some things about the subject.

I put a small trash can with a lid by my backdoor for kitchen waste. The city comes by each week to pick it up for compost, but we pay a lot for garbage. It would be just as easy to throw it in a covered trash can. BTW: The last plumber I talked to said to not use a GD at all. He recommended I take mine out altogether. I just use mine for the stuff that comes off the dishes after scraping the large stuff in the trash; so I'm not completely against them. He told me absolutely eliminate all starchy items in the GD because starches will eventually clog the system.

Reply to
JimT

I did.

What has that to do with the price of oats in China? You pay a lot for garbage pick up, likely because you have union or government (or both) workers picking it up. I paid a lot when I lived in the NE, too. Enough that it was cheaper to take it to the "dump" myself. It was still more expensive than "full service" garbage collection is here. ...from the city, too. You're not going to find that waste in your garbage can.

More nonsense. If the plumbing is done correctly a disposer isn't going to do anything harmful to the plumbing. If you have trees in your pipes, well...

Reply to
krw

Question...

May be moving form Midwest to Arizona....

Will a compost pile work well in desert southwest where so dry?

Reply to
me

So I guess that's nonsense too.

We pay a lot of taxes period. I live in a capital city so they find as many excuses as they can to pick our pockets. The point I was making (not very well) is: I'd compost if they didn't pick it up. Austin is so stupid. They pick up all our recyclables and store them and then they have to pay to have them taken away because they didn't tie the recyclers into a workable contract. Of course we pay for their mistake. I swear my city utility bill goes up every month.

Well....I see you're set in your ways. Good luck with all that. The last plumber I talked to just confirmed what I learned in class and what I've heard from other plumbers in the past. But I'm sure you know better.

Reply to
JimT

I don't have a lot of composting experience but I'm sure it would. You do have to add some water so you'd probably have to add more. Compost heaps are pest attractors. If you have a lot of compost it can get out of hand quickly. One thing I've learned is if the city will p/u yard waste (better to just mulch grass clippings) let them do it. If I started another compost pile I'd be absolutely sure it was sealed away from mice etc...... I prefer to go to the nursery and buy compost. :-)

Reply to
JimT

What it said may be fine. What it didn't is another thing. Nothing is free, as you lefties pretend.

Who's fault is that?

Replace them, or do what I did. Move.

I know enough to keep my plumbing in working order, yes.

Reply to
krw

I haven't been here long enough to vote in a council election.

We're planning on moving when we retire. Move down to Victoria and buy a house bigger than the one were in for about 1/4 of the price. Use the equity for vacations and finish traveling the world. Austin is a beautiful place to live and jobs here are plentiful. The housing market has yet to suffer and there is a lot of good here for upwardly mobile people. Not a good place to retire unless you like paying for everything under the sun. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we get a oxygen tax, which they are already, in a round-about way.

BTW: In regards to your last comment. It's not just about your system. Do some research. This isn't news. Common knowledge among people in the industry.

:-)

Reply to
JimT

We stayed in the NE until I retired, then beat feet as fast as we could. The NE is just *nuts*.

Again, you only look at the part of the equation others decide is good for you.

Reply to
krw

Take a trip down to your local waste water facility and ask, before you make opinions.

Reply to
willshak

willshak

I donno....If it's a conspiracy it's a damn good one. Ya think they are artificially adding nitrates and phosphates into the waste-water so the companies that sell chlorine can sell more to municipalities? Diabolical!

Reply to
JimT

In a smaller bag. My weekly garbage is compacted into a bag that is about 10 lbs in weight, yet can fit in a 5 lb joint compound pail.

Reply to
willshak

Now you've gone completely nutz.

Reply to