Subject Author Posted Replies

Looking for wire stripper for thin electronics wire (2023 Update)
I have a couple of 'automatic' wire strippers that work well on T&E and mains flexible cable but they don't work so well on thin electronics wire, especially multi-strand where the individual strands...
18
18

Main Fuse 10 meters from Consumer unit?
If National Grid install a new main fuse and meter in my new porch then how can i connect it to the existing consumer units 10 meters away? Maybe a 100ma 100ms RCD by the new main fuse and then a fat...
14
14

Barclays Rant
Has anyone had issues with Barclays online banking. I had to pay a bill today, and while I think I managed to, the website is giving error after error. It's the first time I have tried it with the...
83
83

Why is an EV's backup power less than it's driving power?
If an EV has an output power of say 80kW to drive the motors when driving, why is the backup power (to power your house in a power outage) only about 10kW? It's the same battery! And why do people say...
48
48

Thin paving slabs
I have a small back yard - about 20 square metres - which is a patchwork of different bits of concrete with cracks and weeds. I want to pave it, but I don't want to have to break it up, so I'm...
7
7

Smart meters
Ok. I think they have won! My gas and electricity suppliers, SSE were taken over by OVO in 2020. They have finally spotted that I don't have smart metering and have been quarterly billing based on...
47
47

Boiler Burner Cycling question/modulation
Baxi 105 HE Combi. Recently installed a Drayton Wiser thermostat which is set to come on at 0630 to 0830 and call for a temperature of 19.5C in the lounge. It started off at the right time with a room...
16
16

OT: A mouldy death in Rochdale
When I once moved into a flat like that, I bleached the walls down, aired the place out and ensured it then had adequate ventilation by simply opening the windows from time to time. Result? Mould...
46
46

OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?
Background: I have inherited some luggage which is "venerable" but of good quality. I have read on line that there are 7 types of TSA keys, and the locks should show a number which indicates which of...
9
9

Impact driver
As we seem to have several users reading.. What are my chances of my 1.5Ah BL1815G batteries fitting the current offer *body only* Makita 190Z. Any issues with load control electronics?
21
21

UPS rant
I don't get stuff via UPS very often, but last time I registered with their "my choice" app, which involves them physically posting you a code to verify your address, I set a username, an email...
10
10

HSBC rant
I wanted to increase my credit card limit. I went into online banking, followed the instructions, and signed up for credit limit increase offers by e-mail. That was 6 months ago. I repeated the...
67
67

RJ45 in-line coupler
I am wondering: if I use one of these to extend my ethernet connection (well within the 100 metre limit) will it have any material effect on speed? Asking the question of Mr Google produces mixed...
11
11

OT: fabric conditioner
I sort of know that some fabrics don't want fabric conditioner e.g towels so they stay absorbent, microfibre dusters because it stops their "scratchy" fibres catching the dust, materials with special...
7
7

2-way lighting circuit
Hi, Re: is the 1st Fig.1 not recommended but you should use the 2nd Fig.1? The first fig only needs one conductor per switch terminal. The 2nd requires two instances of 2 conductors in a terminal.
11
11