Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: My lamp post
I've been complaining about the lamp post outside my house since February. It doesn't come on. I've complained to the lamp post dept four times and to two councillors. My next complaint will include...
30
30

Jodrell Bank thing on iPlayer
Very interesting indeed; and great to see James Burke again, although I hardly recognised him. But Lovell was quoted as saying (about building and using radio telescopes) that anyone could do it. I...
4
4

PIR/Dusk Dawn/Dimmer
Following on from my previous Q. a month or 2 ago on the subjest matter, the plaster board is going up on walls and ceilings so I've been frantically throwing in cables and sinking boxes into walls......

Noise from cooling fan
The hot weather has made me look for a cooling fan. I thought a pedestal fan would be quieter than a tower fan but this site says the opposite: "Noise can also be a factor. In this category, tower...
72
72

That was a lot of smoke from a CU
Best about it is that this CU was in the back of a very expensive van. Fridge, aircon, microwave, kettle, fully carpeted, nice computers, nice computer chairs, LOTs of CCTV. Ability to use the built...

recommendations for wood preserver
When I finish my patio table I will be looking to use a wood preserver, any recommendations. Also should I varnish it (I prefer not to)
5
5

OTish: Turning circles
Odd, my car's manual states its turning circle increases by 7.5cm if it's fitted with roof bars. WTF has that to do with turning?
67
67

Working with a long reach hedge trimmer
We've got this long reach hedge trimmer from Scr ewfix to overcome difficulties in reaching hard to access spots of our hedg e, and to replace the existing set of trimmers (whcih SWMBO had stripped th...
11
11

If Salvador Dali did oven elements...
On Friday I had a call from a former next door neighbour; "help my circuit breaker is tripping!" So I went round to investigate. When I finally managed to convince him that he was not overloading the...
30
30

Boiler flue position
Hi All I'm trying to find the best location for a new boiler in the kitchen. The obvious choice is on the wall near the kitchen sink. The flue would have to exit above the window (non-opener) and I...
4
4

Just bought one of those magnetic door screens
The one where magnets pull the two halves of the screen together (Lidl). A neat solution, apart from the means of fixing around the door frame. The series of magnets where they part, neatly pull the...
1
1

Bosch AKE 40 chainsaw question - is the -19 version worth the extra cost?
I was about to buy a Bosch AKE 40-19S chainsaw from SFix when I saw that Homebase have a cheaper Bosch AKE 40S. The obvious differences are a slightly higher motor power and chain speed on the -19 but...
10
10

Doubled up 9.5mm PB vs 12.5mm PB
This is plasterboard --- Is there any downside to using 2 sheets of 9.5mm on studwork walls (will be skimmed) vs 1 sheet of 12.5mm? I have relatively little wall to cover compared to ceilings and it...
10
10

vinyl floor sealer
Hi all, Have just had new vinyl floor covering put in my bathroom, I was looking for a sealer type of thing I could put on it before we get urine stains around the WC. I can see lots of big tubs of...
11
11

Dishwashered mixer parts - now discoloured
We have a very old Kenwood mixer, with aluminium beaters. We unfortunately put them in the dishwasher, and they are now covered in a soft black deposit. What's the best way to get that off and if...
8
8