A simple question re Toolstation

We used to have a local B&Q, that I used for DIY stuff. They closed, but we had a Screwfix, which I do use but I'm not keen on the Argos style of purchase, where you browse the catalogue and select what you want by catalogue number. I preferred to browse the shelves in B&Q and select what I wanted more or less by eye.
A Toolstation has now opened in the area. Is Toolstation like B&Q, where you can browse, or is it like Screwfix/Argos where you select by catalogue? Yes, I know I could get in my car, drive seven miles and go to the place, but it's quicker and simpler to ask here.
--

Chris

On 11/05/2017 13:15, Chris Hogg wrote:

Its like Screwfix.
On 11/05/2017 13:24, Nick wrote:

...and started (although now sold on) by the same team that started Screwfix.
Chris Hogg wrote:

The latter, but more stripped down, i.e. the person who takes your order trundles off and gathers the items from the warehouse shelves in plain view, not a team of elves behind a partition ...

if they are behind a partition, how do you know they are elves?
On Thu, 11 May 2017 16:12:01 +0100, tim... wrote:

'cause if they was people you wouldn't need to hide them behind a partition.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 11/05/2017 21:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:

One branch I use had a dwarf behind the counter.
--
Adam

Nothing makes the same noise as elves chattering to each other, stupid.
Many thanks both, that's all I need to know.
--

Chris

On 5/11/2017 2:09 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:

If you have a local screwfix, it's worth ordering on-line for pickup in the store. That lets you do a stock check as well as saving time at the other end. I don't think TS does this (yet).
newshound wrote:

They do have click and collect now, though I haven't used it, the quick trolley code is convenient enough

I used it at TS for some things the local branch didn't stock. On collection they were packed as for post. Luckily, I looked inside, to find one item damaged.
--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman wrote:

They always used to have click and collect tomorrow, which as you say, was ok for non-stock items, but now it's a 20 minute service for stocked items.

As with the other answers, like Screwfix.
However, in some branches and with some assistants at least*, it seems possible for customers go up to the counter and chose items off the monitor which the assistant has swung around for them, for the assistant to then fetch the item from the store and for the customer to inspect it, and spend a good few minutes deciding whether to buy or choose to look at something else instead.
This is not something I've ever done myself but is something which seems to occur whenever there are long queues and you're in a hurry.
And never happens in Argos or in Screwfix when I used to use them.
In short having chosen something on their website, it might well be possible to inspect the item before purchase without too many problems.
michael adams
* Basically because most of their staff are fairly inexperienced themselves, they've yet to develop that degree of contemp which many trade counter assistants are in the habit of showing to ordinary punters.
michael adams wrote:

In my experience that's possible at both SF and TS (and Argos for that matter), though it's generally easier to buy various alternatives and take back the unsuitable ones at a later time.

I have asked in Argos for the item to be brought down from the store so that I can examine it before deciding upon a purchase
tim

Big snag with the local B&Q (a big one) is they started out with a decent selection of slow moving hardware like nuts and bolts, but never replenished it. Odd, given the outrageous mark up. But for most things I'd buy there, I know what it is in a catalogue anyway, so don't need to browse.
--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

Dave Plowman wrote:

I sometimes find that having checked that an item is in stock, it isn't anywhere to be seen on the shelves in "the obvious" section, the staff will claim never to have heard of the item, if you can persuade one of them to look it up on the computer they don't enter the full description you gave them, so they don't find it, even when you get them to enter the full phrase the computer finds it and says "in stock" but doesn't tell them where it is, so you're left traipsing up and down the aisles for "tenuously linked" sections until you find it ...
On 11/05/2017 13:15, Chris Hogg wrote:

Catalogue and the staff get the goods from the warehouse behind the counter. The person serving you gets the goods.
Screwfix has counter staff and then you goods are fetched by someone else which can result in a long wait.
In my experience screwfix staff cannot care a shit about customer service. Toolstation staff have a more professional attitude to customer service.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

alan_m wrote:

That mirrors my experience, and the branch manager seems equally likely to be manning the tills at busy periods, or pushing a broom at quite times, I'd say a TS branch seems to run with under half the staff that an SF branch does.