Toolstation kwalitee?

Learned to avoid Silverline tools from TS as hit or miss if they`ll do anytghing other than fall apart.

Now gloves,some of the rags they are punting as hand protection , simply not fit for any purpose.

Just a rant as now have to go and queue in Screwfix to actually get goods that actually work.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I am still the proud owner of half a Silverline scriber. It fell in half shortly after delivery and I have no idea where the other half is. No more of that junk for me.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Could be worse. Could be Rolson.

Reply to
GB

Indeed, that's some real nasty crap. I think I've had some Silverline stuff that was usable, but I don't recall what it might have been.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I agree that Silverline are quite variable, and TS does seem to have more poor quality stuff than SF. But, TS does have some good quality stuff, and it is almost always cheaper than SF, sometimes by quite a lot. I'm currently buying a bit more from SF than TS, but that's because they have a more local store that I am often near, and I do find their"order for pick up later" service to be very good indeed.

Reply to
newshound

In message <20190118171202.1f8e8364@Mars>, Rob Morley snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com writes

I have a pneumatic nibbler that seems OK. I got a spare set of punch/mandrel in case:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Just a for interest, returned shoddy Portwest thermal gloves because of latex stuck together fingers, lady behind counter said have had quite a few returns on them because of poor fit, very baggy in palm area.

SF across road m Delta Plus thermal gloves, 1.49 more, actually useable :-)

SF`s Site brand are considerably better than Portwest gloves in general. Much prefer the TS counter service than the SF hang around though.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Local SF now operates on a mix of the argos model and toolstation model.

For common items the person who took your order/payment grabs them from nearby shelves, for less common items someone else collects them (but not out of sight like before).

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't know what Toolstation are doing stock wise at the moment but I'm finding that I'm using Screwfix more these days because of better item quality, stock levels and stock range even though I prefer the service in Toolstation rather than the Argos type service in Screwfix. It's almost like SF are taking the piss by sending the customer to the end of the counter to collect the long weight!

I don't think I'm alone judging by how empty of custom TS is and how full SF are at the same time of day. This seems a recent trend but it may indicate that perhaps TS are doing something wrong with some of the "cheap" brands, without alternatives, they are currently stocking.

Reply to
alan_m

My local SF still operates the Argos model where you can wait a long time listening to their staff having a jolly party in the warehouse behind the partition.

Reply to
alan_m

I once bought a set of Silverline wood chisels that made a first year apprentice look sharp.

Reply to
ARW

You're meant to sharpen them before use. You didn't or tried but couldn't?

I'm fed up with Screwfix being always out of stock of some stuff. And yeah, sometimes they have another brand at 2 or 3x the price. Meh.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's like several of these cheap tool suppliers. Some much worse than others. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh dear, I've just bought a Rolson rivet gun.

Damn, I was expecting to hand it down to the grandkids. £6.69 down the drain!

Reply to
Paul Welsh

Plan ahead, order on line so it gets sent to your local branch.

Reply to
charles

Only one Rolson tool: wheelbrace, double pinion, works well. It is about 20 years old, so possibly better than Rolson nowadays. One fault: the thread on the chuck is a bit coarse, so a tendency to slacken off in use.

Reply to
PeterC

In article snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, Adam Aglionby snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com scribeth thus

Yes far simper and better that why I prefer TS to SF anyday...

Reply to
tony sayer

replying to Adam Aglionby, tahrey wrote: Much as with anything, you get what you pay for. I find them quite handy for absolute dirt cheap things in small or single quantities that I'm only going to use/need once, or a small number of times, and then likely never touch again for many years / ever, or only need temporarily or for a rough job so there's no point paying for extra quality or longevity that I won't get any benefit from. Similar to picking up stuff from Lidl/Aldi, it's a gamble because on average it still pays off.

For quality things that you'll use on at least a semi-regular basis and don't fancy having to replace in short order, go elsewhere and put a bit more cash towards a quality item. It might be a little bit of a hassle, but consider it an investment of time as well as money, banked against not having to abort a job halfway through and spend more time and money replacing it prematurely in the near future.

EG, I bought bits for the battery drill I got as a bizarre birthday present (but no included bits) from there at the lowest price in the catalogue as I don't envisage using it very much at all, and indeed it's seen more use as a screwdriver or a host for polishing/sanding wheels than making holes in things, but the few times they've seen service (including a minor kitchen rework job where a few batons had to be screwed together, and some to the cement floor / ceiling joists etc) they've done alright. Might not last more than a few jobs, but that probably represents another decade. On the other hand, buying a torque wrench, even when I didn't have much spare money, was a much more considered operation as it's something I've had much more use for in terms of fettling bits on cars and bikes, up to and including head and hub bolts (the latter with a 6ft piece of pipe for extra leverage), so it needed to be accurate and hardwearing. Yet still somewhat affordable. After checking out some reviews, I bought a moderately hefty model from Machine Mart (...though oddly, I could swear that's also Silverline? I stopped paying attention to the branding ages ago) and so far it's lasted decidedly more than ten years without any sign of giving up any time soon. Probably cost twice, if not more, what you could get a basic one for from TS (or probably SF, or Halfords for that matter) but it's proven easily worth the extra outlay and effort.

Reply to
tahrey

replying to Cursitor Doom, tahrey wrote: Sounds a bit like my Parkline (parkfield? whatever they call it) dremel-copy thing from Lidl. Speed control failed within a week, the brake for the chuck went wrong soon after. Disassembly and jiggery pokery fixed the second issue (sort of ... I can still swap out the ends and tighten them in place with a bit of faffing, anyway) but couldn't do anything for the first (still no idea what the cause is), luckily pretty much everything I bough and have used it for works just fine with it buzzing away at maximum speed. But every time I get it out I'm wondering if it's going to be the time when it finally falls to bits in my hand, or maybe sends parts flying everwhere at 20000+ rpm. Goggles very much on at all times.

Reply to
tahrey

My previous SF was pretty unpleasant. Always seemed to have to double - or triple - queue. Once to place order. Once to get receipt. Then hang about and sometimes have to queue to get the goods.

Now - super-speedy, almost always get the goods straight from the shelves which are largely visible. And very friendly and helpful.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google