Lesson learned - TS Blades

I knew I was going to have to cut up a bunch of MDF and use up some scrap melamine (PB core) to make up some shop cabinets, so I bought a 'throw away' $10 carbide blade off Ebay for the job. Why ruin my Freuds right ? I started my saw (Jet 3hp cabinet) and it shook like an out of balance washing machine. Needless to say the Freud went back on - I'll use it for junk now - I have an excuse to go buy the Forrestt now for the good stuff.

BTW has anyone used the CMT General Purpose blades ? I've heard some pretty good things about them recently. I don't have any problem buying the Forrestt, but I do like learning about other alternatives. I've always wondered about Systi Matics too - they don't seem to get much press.

jim bailey

Reply to
Jim Bailey

Jim Bailey asks:

Can't help on the SystiMatic, but the CMT GP blade is a good one, on a par with Freud.

Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore

Reply to
Charlie Self

If it makes you feel any better, cutting MDF is not going to ruin a "good" blade. You can always have the blade resharpened and a better quality blade can be resharpened 10+ times depending on how much you abuse it between sharpenings. Systematic used to be a pretty good blade but IIRC sold out and is no longer family owned. They are probably in the Freud class.

Reply to
Leon

Sun, Apr 4, 2004, 9:03pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@jbaileygroupANDTHIS.com (Jim=A0Bailey) says: I bought a 'throw away' $10 carbide blade off Ebay

Plus paid shipping. I wouldn't touch anything like that off of eBay.

I got a carbide tipped 10" blade at Big Lots awhile back. $9.99 I think it was. Works great, nice smooth cut, albeit a tad wide maybe.

JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.

Reply to
J T

Why not use your good blade? It'll sharpen. Prolly cheaper to sharpen than to buy a new blade? I use my bad blades for wood with potential nails in them. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Jim,

Systimatic makes excellent blades. I just bought their glue-line rip blade. I have a CMT crosscut that is good. I have both Freud and Forrest combination blades, and an excellent Everlast blade for my miter saw.

Andy

Reply to
Andy