Close coupled toilet has constant leak into basin

My toilet has a tiny but constant leak into the pan. The water flush is wo rking correctly and is not sticking and causing overflowing (that was my pr oblem last time!). I don't know what you call the other part of the mechan ism that actually creates the flush and sits in the middle of the pan at th e outflow, but it seems to me that must be where the problem lies - either there or at the seal between pan and cistern. I have never understood how the flush part works, if it can be adjusted, whether it is likely to fail, whatever. Some enlightenment please. TIA - Keith

Reply to
Keefiedee

This might work : When the WC is unlikely to need flushing for some time, drain a can of proc essed peas into the cistern, repeatedly. Alternate, per draining, between giving low level stirs (because the leak is probably at the bottom) and ful l stirs (in case the leak is not at the bottom. Before starting, notify an y other users not to worry about the probable appearance of a green colour.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

There is probably a pipe in the centre of the arrangement, does the water level come up to the top of pipe when the float cuts the flow and let it go into the pipe? If so set the cutoff lower.

Reply to
FMurtz

working correctly and is not sticking and causing overflowing (that was my problem last time!). I don't know what you call the other part of the mech anism that actually creates the flush and sits in the middle of the pan at the outflow, but it seems to me that must be where the problem lies - eithe r there or at the seal between pan and cistern. I have never understood ho w the flush part works, if it can be adjusted, whether it is likely to fail , whatever. Some enlightenment please.

I've had a simialr thing can't find the cause and it goes away in the spri ng/summer and is worse the colder it gets so I assume it's soemthing to do with the rubber/plastic whatever seal arrangment that due to the colder wat er during winter. I could probbbley sort it by taking the things apart agai n, but last time I tried I made it worse so this year left it alone adn it' s been better i.e just a tricle to nothing as it warms up.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Siphon. If the water level is high enough it will continuously siphon out. However they are supposed to have that floppy washer thingy to stop anything but a violent movement doing the start of the siphon action, so I'd suggest some investigation in that area. Either the ballcock level is unnaturally high or there is a problem with the mechanism itself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ah we have a comedian in our midst do we? I'm told egg white is good for sealing leaks. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I wondered what they did with all those faulty shuttle solid booster gaskets... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've got a box of cadburys cream eggs will they work, obviously I'll just use the white bits ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

We really need to know the Brand or Type of flush mechanism. Already some answers realte to Syphons - is yours a syphon or a push button.

It could even be that the flushing unit is not sealed to the cistern very well so water is leaking past it.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Probably work better unless you flush your bog with hot water.

Reply to
bert

The simplest explanations are either the float is set too high, meaning that it doesn't exert enough pressure on the valve to completely stop the flow of water into the cistern, or that the valve itself is faulty and needs replacing. Worth checking both of these before undertaking anything more extensive like dismantling the siphon.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I have just had to replace a complete cistern and pan because of this problem. It had the following flush mechanism:

I repeatedly replaced the valve seals but the problem continued. I couldn't replace the flush mechanism with another type because it wouldn't match the oblong push button on the cistern top. I had to replace the whole lot. I hope you don't have this problem.

Brendan.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

BTW. It was costing my customer a fortune in water bills.

Reply to
Rednadnerb