Toilet fan into close?

Enviromental health Scotland tells me i cant extract a toilet fan into the close of a tenament building it has to be extracted into the open air.

Can anyone confirm this as i cant find any info.

Is this a building reg for existing installations as well as new ones?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mr Jimmy

Sounds right to me.

Apart from anything else, it's a break in the fire barrier between your flat and other flats' escape route.

Some tenements were built with internal bathrooms having a window on to the close for daylight.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

thanks

what do you mean by this?

Sounds right to me.

Apart from anything else, it's a break in the fire barrier between your flat and other flats' escape route.

Some tenements were built with internal bathrooms having a window on to the close for daylight.

Owain

Reply to
Mr Jimmy

yes the toilet has a window with a 6" fan it

2 of the flats are like that

i was shocked to hear this regulation as ive been here almost 40 years

thats why i wondered if it was new installations only as it couldnt have been a reg in 1980 or I would have know

obviously my neighbour doesnt know either

thanks

what do you mean by this?

Sounds right to me.

Apart from anything else, it's a break in the fire barrier between your flat and other flats' escape route.

Some tenements were built with internal bathrooms having a window on to the close for daylight.

Owain

Reply to
Mr Jimmy

Most tenements were built when indoor cludgies were upmarket.

By which I mean the common close should be surrounded by solid masonry apar t from the flats' front doors - which traditionally in Scotland give onto a lobby separate from the indoor hall. Although not formally fire-rated, two doors is a fairly good barrier for smoke.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I certainly wouldn't want to be standing in the close being blasted by toilet smells.

Reply to
Dave W

Thanks for the replies its not me doing the extracting i am on the receiving end of it.

He is not only blasting me with toilet smells he is blasting me with poisonous chemical irritants.....essential oils......causing me all sorts of health problems but enviromental health say they cant do anything because the argyle and clyde health board do not recognise essential oils as being a public health hazard.

This is despite the fact it is all over the net about these oils. The health board deny the irritants are air borne despite there being a medical condition called "air borne contact dermititis" which i have been suffering from for a year. This condition is specific to essential oils.

Disgraceful attitude from enviromental health. All the officer offered was the info about building regs. He is basically "passing the buck" but i thought i would check that the part of this info was correct because the info he obtained from the health board is garbage!

I certainly wouldn't want to be standing in the close being blasted by toilet smells.

Reply to
Mr Jimmy

So fit a fan with a flap. Thermal is much more effective than gravity operated.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Mr Jimmy formulated on Wednesday :

I have no idea what a 'close' might be, but could you simply not poke a stick through the fan?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

How would that change anything ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

You may be better to not concentrate on the alleged health effects, as they may be disputable, and instead concentrate on nuisance and damage related to moisture and condensation in the common parts of the building, which presumably you have a share in?

AIUI there is nothing to stop an extractor fan being ducted through a communal area, and I've seen it done with the duct exiting through the fanlight over the front door.

Owain

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Mr Jimmy formulated on Wednesday :

I have no idea what a 'close' might be, but could you simply not poke a stick through the fan?

-

Harry once i have exhausted all the legal routes then.........................

Reply to
Mr Jimmy

You may be better to not concentrate on the alleged health effects, as they may be disputable, and instead concentrate on nuisance and damage related to moisture and condensation in the common parts of the building, which presumably you have a share in?

AIUI there is nothing to stop an extractor fan being ducted through a communal area, and I've seen it done with the duct exiting through the fanlight over the front door.

Owain

Owain

-

Yes owain thats good advice i am beginning to think that might be better plus someone has pointed me to public/private nuisance laws ;o)

Reply to
Mr Jimmy

Tim+ explained on 23/08/2017 :

Ta!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Here we are; the relevant provision is in the Scottish Tolerable Standard f or housing (although other legislation may also apply):

6.22. For bathrooms, and other apartments, plus the kitchen, where there is no satisfactory openable window, they must have an alternative ventilation system. Normally this will be a mechanical device, such as an extractor fa n, but in some cases an assessor will find other systems such as a passive stack type (where warm, moist air passes through a vent into an almost vert ical duct and is expelled at an outlet on the roof). The device or system m ust vent directly to the outside and not into an adjacent apartment, circul ation space or common access route, such as a tenement close.

Housing (Scotland) Act 2006, Tolerable Standard

The tolerable standard is a "condemnatory" standard; a house that falls bel ow it is not acceptable as living accommodation. Local authorities have a s tatutory duty and specific powers to deal with houses that fall below the t olerable standard (" BTS"). We explain the duty and powers in this chapter.

2.8. To meet the tolerable standard a house must comply with all the criter ia. In other words, the assessment is a simple "pass" or "fail". If a house does not meet even one of the criteria, then it is BTS. 2.9. Housing (Scotland) Act 1987 s. 85(1) places a duty on every local auth ority to secure that all houses in their area which do not meet the tolerab le standard are closed, demolished or brought up to the tolerable standard. This duty remains in force and subsequent legislation has not altered it. The Act does not restrict the duty to any specific tenure of housing.

Therefore you can report your neighbour's house for being Below Tolerable S tandard, and ask the council why they are not complying with the duty to br ing it up to Tolerable Standard under the 1987 Act.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

[...]

Jeez owain thats EXACTLY what i am/have been searching for.

Thanks a million thats perfect!

Reply to
Mr Jimmy

it's a fallacy that fans from toilets are there to remove smells

they are there to remove moisture (that they remove smells as well is pure coincidence)

tim

Reply to
tim...

Who says? Do you have a unique insight into the motivations of man? In any case, a toilet (as opposed to a bathroom or shower room) will generate minimal moisture.

Reply to
Max Demian

Building regulations

Do you have a unique insight into the motivations of man? In

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Regulations don't need to explain why they exist. they just /are/.

Reply to
Max Demian