Anyone been to a Bunnings yet?

I've read about how they ditched all the management and the in store franchises, plus kitchens, bathrooms and stuff and just stacked up basic DIY bits and pieces.
They are now in deep trouble and writing down all of the purchase price.
Apart from the reports making them look like a bunch of arrogant idiots, has anyone been in one of the stores?
I've been in Bunnings in Oz and NZ and they seemed O.K., but there was no B&Q, Screwfix, Toolstation, Wickes, Magnet.......well, you probably get the picture. They do have Mitre 10.

I found (to my surprise) that for supposedly DIY nations the actual availability of DIY stuff was quite poor.
For example if you go tent camping you need a water proof power lead with a circuit breaker to be allowed to plug into the site electrical supply.
All well and good, but there is a ridiculous mark up.
I could buy almost all the bits (four sockets, outdoor extension lead, circuit breaker) in the same store for less than two thirds the price. The only thing I had to track down was the round pin plug for the site electrics, which I had to buy on TradeMe. I could probably have bought it from an electrical wholesaler but TradeMe was cheaper. In the UK I would just go to ScrewFix.
Just looking back at my postings at the time, they wanted $150 for the lead. I could buy all the bits for around $100.
Much to my surprise the main online reaction was advice to use a qualified sparky. Indicating that Kiwis weren't used to doing their own wiring, nor understanding that waterproof fittings with glands to seal against the cable were how the shop sold stuff was made.
Which may go some way to explain why the Oz firm seems to have completely misunderstood the UK DIY market.
Anyway, I assume that they will have gone mammaries skywards before the rebrand reaches our little store.
Which is a shame because HomeBase has been good as a garden centre and for homewares.
Cheers
Dave R

One think I will miss is their own brand waterproof ready mixed tiling adhesive. The best I've found - without trying 'brands' at twice the price. Wicks equivalent was hopeless. Took it back for a refund.
--
*If you can't see my mirrors, I'm doing my hair*

I've been in the Folkestone one (quite a bit) and the Thanet one a couple of times. Quite impressed.
Far better than the B&Q it replaced. Better stuff, better range, better prices.
I like it so far. It's not a Wickes, or toolstation but certainly far far better than Homebase IMO.
Darren
Darren Chapman wrote:

They knew the stores were in trouble when they bought them, if they had blitzed them all quickly, they might have turned the group around, if they couldn't afford to do that maybe they shouldn't have bothered ...

They've been struggling with the IT. HRG recently outsourced their IT to Fujitsu and most of the people who knew how anything worked left. Then Bunnings took over and started a huge migration project with a bunch of minimum wage outsourced staff who didn't know anything.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 53rd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 16:41:12 -0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@raven.kent.ac.uk (Darren Chapman) wrote:

I'd agree, the ones around here (Herts) are far better than the Homebases they replaced.
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 16:41:12 -0000 (UTC) snipped-for-privacy@raven.kent.ac.uk (Darren Chapman) wrote:

I thought it was Homebase they were replacing.

B&Q Folkestone shutdown, and Bunnings moved in. The Homebase over the road shut a few days earlier (and presumably staff moved? No idea...)
The staff in Bunnings seem far more helpful and motivated than Homebase ever were, but some of that might be a shiny new store making them feel like helping instead of the thoroughly depressing homebase with leaks everywhere.
The Folkestone homebase was particularly run down.
Darren

I haven't been yet to the new one near here (opened a couple of weeks ago). It replaced a Homebase (which was once a Texas). Next door is a Dunelm Mills (opened a couple of years ago, so there was a certain amount of competition with some products). A mile up the road is a B&Q - and not much further on is a Wickes. Another mile further on is a Homebase (somewhat larger than the one that was replaced by the new Bunnings.
--
Ian

David wrote:

Not surprised, doesn't .au have Part P on steroids?
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 16:53:38 +0000

They do seem quite partial to rules and regulations.
I went into Homebase yesterday for brown sealant.
'We only do white.'
I didn't bother for the rest of my needs.
I got the lot at Screwfix today.
Shame. I used to like Homebase.
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 17:00:49 +0000

The local one wasn't as good as the Do It All that it replaced.

I was confused because I was looking for the Homebase in Chichester, but the Homebase website claimed they didn't have a store. Eventually I had to go on Google Maps and hunt around for the retail park where I eventually worked out they haven't closed it, it's now a Bunnings. Which is a completely different website. Of course, not being a Homebase that means they didn't have the item I was interested in, and Bunnings don't list their stock online.
Has anyone been to one of these: https://www.homebase.co.uk/clearance-outlet-stores (Bournemouth, New Southgate, Peterborough, Bristol, Warrington, Greenock)
Apparently this is where they're dumping all the stock they overbought and isn't selling. Wondering whether there's any bargains, or if it's just random tat.
Theo

The latter, it seems: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/homebase-clearance-outlet-bristol-longwell-green-2888187 https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/homebase-clearance-outlets-2896638
Theo
On 22/02/18 18:08, Theo wrote:

I've been to the one in Bournemouth, it has much the same pile of tat as the (smaller) Yeovil one I was in today.
I just don't understand why after a year or more they haven't either closed the unwanted/unprofitable stores or, if they have a future, refitted and restocked.
It all just looks a horrible mess.

--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
On 22/02/2018 18:08, Theo wrote:

There is a large Wickes on that same retail park.
On 22 Feb 2018 18:08:04 +0000 (GMT)

I just checked Google Street View to find that the former Homebase is now "The Range", a chain I'd never heard of, that seems to be a furniture, homeware and clothing outlet. But there's a Wickes and a Screwfix on the same estate, so no loss.
On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 15:48:10 +0000, Rob Morley wrote:

We have a Range within striking distance.
Not much compelling stuff there, but they do very nice lamp shades which we don't see anywhere else.
Mainly crap and chavs (in my very biased opinion)
Cheers
Dave R

On 26/02/2018 19:26, David wrote:

Net curtain by the metre.