Jockey wheel

Why is a Jockey wheel called a Jockey wheel ? ....
It's those things that can be used to raise the height of caravans and trailers easily.
Just wondered where they get the name from.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)94422712&sr=8-1&keywords=Jockey+wheel

I had vaguely thought it came from the expression jockeying into position, but perhaps the expression came from the wheel?
--
Graeme

On 5/10/2017 2:26 PM, whisky-dave wrote:

GIYF
"struggle by every available means to gain or achieve something."
a person who pilots, operates, or guides the movement of something, as an airplane or automobile.
Informal. to operate or guide the movement of; pilot; drive. 5. to move, bring, put, etc., by skillful maneuvering: The movers jockeyed the sofa through the door. 6. to trick or cheat: The salesman jockeyed them into buying an expensive car. 7. to manipulate cleverly or trickily: He jockeyed himself into office.
On Wednesday, 10 May 2017 16:09:42 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

Like the bloke on an 'orse you mean .

I guess that makes sense, Jimmy saville jockeyed his way into young boys and girls, yep makes perfect sense now being a DJ too :-)
Similar to football scouts from what I was listening too last night.
On 10/05/17 16:09, newshound wrote:

So the jockey is a man who jockeys, not the other way around.

So what about Idler wheels in turntables and other drive systems. These are wheels that are anything but idle. Brian
--
----- -
On 11/05/17 09:13, Brian Gaff wrote:

"An idler gear is a gear wheel that is inserted between two or more other gear wheels. The purpose of an idler gear can be two-fold. Firstly, the idler gear will change the direction of rotation of the output shaft. Secondly, an idler gear can assist to reduce the size of the input/output gears whilst maintaining the spacing of the shafts."
I.e. its idle because it is not part of the drive or driven shafts. It's connected to nothing via its shaft, only to other gears via its teeth, or in the case of a belt tensioning pulley or a turntable pulley, its rim.
On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 4:09:42 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:

So...jockey shorts?...

The need to jockey your bollocks into a comfortable position?
--
Graeme

Well I can think of one, but it is rather sizist, so I won't mention it. Brian
--
----- -