Subject Author Posted Replies

Central heating wiring question
My mum and Dad's boiler wants to stay on all the time. I thought the best thing to do, besides just switching it off for now, would be to try and work out how it's all wired together, and then work...
55
55

Another DIY "bladeless" fan
Cardboard and hot melt glue ... How to make Bladeless Fan at home A table fan without any visual propellers was developed by a British engineer named "Dyson". Make your own DIY bladeless fan using a...
7
7

Mountfield tools
What are their power tools like? I've not encountered that brand in ages. NT

Securing modern sash windows
A member of the family has just moved into a property which has double glazed sash windows, made from what looks like uPVC. There appears to be no way to securly lock the lower sash in a partially...
4
4

How to remove a parked car
If someone parks in front of your house, simply use a large power tool such as a brush cutter, and start sending bits of twig flying everywhere. The car will get moved very quickly :-)
122
122

Good strong glue
Can anyone recommend a good strong glue that isn't a liquid? I need to put it on a vertical surface but obviously don't want to have it all dribble down. I have no faith in Superglue - the only thing...
34
34

Boiler won't ignite after pilot light relit
Hi All we have an old Baxi Bermuda back boiler (yes, needs replacing, but not now...). I recently got a new gas hob fitted and after the chap left, realised that of course the pilot light for the...
16
16

Replacing fuse box with consumer unit
There is a fault in the neutral of one of the cables going to my six way fuse box. To find this fault I am likely to have to remove the fuse box so that I can inspect the incoming cables and maybe...
42
42

Aga running too hot
I have had a second fire valve installed in line to protect our boiler since this was installed our aga keeps running too hot and makes strange sounds
7
7

Whitby
Two on Derwent Road and two on Parson's Close. All of them are bathrooms and kitchens. Unless I am missing something this is not the typical stuff we have done. Streetview shows houses for sale and...
7
7

buying a brand new car
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other...
63
63

Outdoor decorative laser lights - safe?
Went to a friends barbeque last night and they had two of these in the garden, one pointing up at rear house wall (including windows), and another up to a tree at the end of the garden. Looked...
11
11

Gas pipe through above ceiling
Asking about something I've seen done, rather than something I'm thinking of doing ... Gas pipe enters building through cavity wall (it is sleeved) at a height above ground floor ceiling and below...
1
1

What's the simplest way to glaze a window?
I want to reglaze some quite large windows in a shed/summer house. I'm having to rebuild the frames, there's no existing 'window structure' there at all at the moment. The result doesn't have to be...
13
13

Rubber glue
I'm looking for the toughest most durable rubber tyre to EPDM rubber glue p ossible. Evo-stik contact adhesive is the classic one, though I'm not seeing it stoc ked anywhere nearby, so would need to...
8
8