World Nuclear Assoc: Nuclear power in the UK - a very interesting read

Interesting article, updated this month. Lengthy, but well worth a read for anyone interested.

Despite the title, has a summary of power generation/availability in the UK, not just nuclear.

Goes on to discuss ageing nukes, lifetime extensions, plans for new nukes, decommissioning, energy policy, the market, contracts for difference, capacity margin, small (modular) reactors, waste disposal, public opinion, research.

Choice quote:

"UK energy policy since the 2008 Energy Act through to July 2015 has been built around reducing CO2 emissions rather than security of supply or cost. In 2010-11 the price of renewable energy certificates doubled the price or electricity from those sources - an increasing proportion, including imports - more than one-quarter. Hence energy poverty is an issue in the UK (as elsewhere), and in the winter of 2012-13 some 31,000 excess deaths - mostly people over 75 - were reported by the Office of National Statistics, the highest figure since 2008"

So you see, harry, your tree-hugging loony "enviro" policies are directly responsible for the rise in prices and the deaths of people due to energy poverty.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Fascinating. Lots of useful and interesting information - thanks.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Excellent link. Confirms the truth ie that green energy is a great way of transferring money from the poor to the rich aswell as putting supply at risk.

Reply to
simon mitchelmore

And that figure is proved to be down to 'energy poverty' just how?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fantastic link, thanks for posting. I'd love to know who wrote it.

Reply to
newshound

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

Why are you asking me? Take it up with the author of the article, or the ONS, whose data he is citing.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Why did you post it here? To be accepted without comment? If so, please post your propaganda to a more suitable group.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've never been that happy with the way they calculate it:

But there it is.

Reply to
RJH

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Office of national Statistics. Published annually. Well known and oft debated situation sometimes referred to as "heat or eat".

Reply to
bert

But that doesn't show how many died early due to energy poverty.

It is never heat or eat because you can always use an electric blanket and heat and eat at the same time.

Reply to
grjw

I have known old people that sit cold in one room with a one bar fire that they won't turn on because they can't afford to run it 24hrs a day in winter.

Sometimes you can get social services to help, sometimes you can't.

Reply to
dennis

Oh ! The 'let them eat cake' of it!

Hint: electricity and food both cost money....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hint: an electric throw adds almost nothing to the cost of the food and so there is no OR involved.

Reply to
grjw

I am simply flabbergasted at the total ignorance you display.

The cost of social housing adds nothing to the cost of the NHS, so there is no OR about it?

Magic money tree thinking I see..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We'll see...

The cost of running A HEATED THROW IS A TINY PART OF THE COST OF THE FOOD, so there is no OR about it, perfectly possible to do both.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Reply to
grjw

People who have a financial interest in nuclear power.

Reply to
harry

As opposed to you, who have a financial interest in solar panels?

It's called 'projection' harry. Judging others by your own standards.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

snip

I'd never heard of them - and if I had, would have thought they cost a fair bit to run. I can think of 2 people I know who live in unheated, uninsulated houses who would definitely benefit.

On the loose assumption that they do provide a meaningful amount of heat, marvellous idea:

I've a passing interest in this as I carried out some research on the relationship between housing, poverty, age and health - 30 years back.

Reply to
RJH

---70-x-150cm

150w is certainly significant, but unfortunately they're mains voltage. Abo ut tuppence an hour at full whack, 32p a day £2.24 a week.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No assumption, I've been using one for years now, no other heat.

Reply to
grjw