New nuclear technology

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/14/nuclear_reactor_salt/

Sorry, if you expect me to read some random link you need to provide a short precis.
--
Tim

On 14/03/2013 22:23, Tim Streater wrote:

It's The Register FFS, not some random site.
"The Waste Annihilating Molten Salt Reactor (WAMSR) is based on designs first dreamt up in the 1950s for reactors that used liquid rather than solid fuels. Two graduate students at MIT have now upgraded those designs so that the reactors can be fueled by nuclear waste, and also designed a safety system that will automatically shut the reactor down without power or human intervention."
Andy
On 14/03/2013 23:08, Andy Champ wrote:

It also emits flying pigs and pies in the sky for an encore.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Istr it's a spin-off from thorium research, where they found that low-grade conventional fuel (that would normally be 'waste') could be used in the pile and contribute significantly to the energy output, thus reducing its potential hazard, too. If they've done new work on this and improved it, it's a step forward and I expect the nuke-proponents on here (me included) to be glad of it.
Tim Streater wrote:

No on expects you to do anything. What level of arrogance makes you think they do?
--
AC

Don't they? If they don't expect me to do anything, why did they post the link?
--
Tim

For the non-arrogant readers.
--
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

On 16/03/13 13:09, Tim Streater wrote:

in the full knowledge that you were a total prat, and therefore not actually worth talking to you.
HINT: the world is not entirely all; about YOU.
--
Ineptocracy

Really? That's astonishing.
--
Tim

On 16/03/2013 15:34, Tim Streater wrote:

When the academics start bitching, what hope for the rest of us?
On 16/03/13 18:03, stuart noble wrote:

I get very irritated when people complain that someone's posting style doesn't suit them.
Ignore it, or say something constructive,
--
Ineptocracy

OK, then in future I'll just ignore links posted without any sort of accompanying summary that indicates the purpose of the post. ISTR someone complaining recently when dennis did that, but I can't remember who it was now.
--
Tim

On 16/03/13 18:23, Tim Streater wrote:

Not me anyway.
--
Ineptocracy

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 18:03:05 +0000, stuart noble
Them? They're about as academic as my cats' arses.
On 18/03/13 10:59, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

ah, logic fails, facts fail, reason fails, mathematics fails.
So why NOT resort to personal abuse.
--
Ineptocracy

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:07:49 +0000, The Natural Philosopher

It's the only thing that penetrates.

"Its not all about you Its not all about you baby ..."
--
geoff

On 14/03/2013 21:52, Jethro_uk wrote:

Nothing conceptually new. And anyone who believes that two MIT grad students, even good ones, are going to overturn the thinking which has gone into reactor designs over the past 75 years they are, frankly, deluded.
On Thursday 14 March 2013 22:29 newshound wrote in uk.d-i-y:

What are they overturning? They are refining a very old idea.
And we are talking about MIT here, not Bangor University...