Dyson DC03 cyclone unclogging procedure

There probably aren't many more of these around any more, but the procedure may be similar for other models.

The fault was that over time it gradually loses suck. The filters are clean, but it sucks less and gets hot. Today I went to pick up some plaster while /she/ was out and got no response at all - so I took it apart.

This is what I found:

Since it had been a bit of a pain to do I took photos as I put it back together. Disassembly is the reverse of assembly :)

This is what it looked like after cleaning:

Put the conical inner cyclone back into the outer, and line up the flange with the hole

Push hard to put the two bits back together. I found a bit of gentle warmth (hot water) to soften the plastic slightly helped, but it still took a lot of force - there's a ring around the inner cyclone

that makes them stay together. A LOT of force - I put it on the floor and pushed.

The rest of the grey bits go back together easily, but make sure you have the screw holes lined up - the one in the housing , the one in the pressure valve in the top

and the one in the cyclone . Finally slide the entire cyclone back inside the housing, making sure the bump lines up with the divot in the housing .

You can then replace the screw

and then push back the rubber seal that hides it . The yellow clip just clicks back into place - the spring goes on the plus-shaped bit.

When taking it apart the yellow clip needs to be prised out first, not forgetting the spring underneath that will make a bid for freedom. You need a thin bladed screwdriver to open the housing slightly so it comes out. It doesn't look like it wants to, and you really need about 5 hands. This lets you get to the torx screw.

There's only one screw, but the grit and dirt which is why you started means nothing will want to come apart.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Cue long thread about how with a Miele/Sebo/Henry/Panasonic/Vax you'd only have to wash / replace the filter and it would still be sucking 'like new' 1000 years later :)

Got two DC01's one dating from 1993, one maybe a year or two later and a DC04 from and a shagged out Henry in the workshop. Given a choice I wouldn't use anything but a Dyson. He's a design genius (albeit one that nicked the basic idea from industry)

The DC01's and a scrap heap acquired DC04 have been pressure washed or soaked in a tub of hot soapy water in the past to clean the cyclones. The latter was dumped again as it stunk of tobacco.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Forget pressure washing. What you need is petrol. Then it'll be clean as a whistle :o)

Cheers,

Colin

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I borrowed a neigbours Die-soon yesterday. First time I've ever used one, and it confirmed what I've always thought about them. Hideous, heavy, useless, fragile PoS. And it blocked up.

Reply to
Huge

It probably needed a good clean-out. Either that or it wasn't re-assembled properly, our one relies on the suction to make airtight joins everywhere, one bit of dirt in a seal and it's useless. Sometimes you just need to pull one of the removable bits off and put it back on, then it works like a dream. The brushes tend to get very matted with bits of carpet too, it's worth spending a few minutes a month cutting all the threads out of it with a stanley knife.

They do clog up easily but when you take the time to dismantle, clean and re-assemble, they're very good. Maybe a bit too complicated for their own good sometimes.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

I gave it a good clean-out in desperation at how pitiful the result was. No change. I ended up picking up bits of stuff off the carpets by hand.

Thanks but I'll stick to both my opinion and my Sebo X-1.

(Oh, BTW, my wife thought the Die-soon was crap, too.)

Reply to
Huge

We've had a Dyson for over 9 years and it's been superb. Can't fault it.

Reply to
bod

Yes here we go again.

Reply to
The Other Mike

one is left wondering why, if yours is so good, did you feel the need to borrow you neighbours' Dyson?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

One thing I've noticed about Dysons, is that there is enough suction to make people fail to notice that the belt or clutch broke three months ago and the brushes haven't moved since.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp