World Nuclear Assoc: Nuclear power in the UK - a very interesting read

I'm not. It's Rodney.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Some people eat for about that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , grjw writes

If the amount of money is fixed then every penny spent on one means a penny less to spend on the other. Is that too complex a concept for you?

Reply to
bert

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

I would imagine it's quite difficult to live ones life permanently wrapped in an electric blanket.

Reply to
bert

I wouldn't.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, agreed, if they had it switched on full, 24/7. I shouldn't imagine many people do that - do they? Most people would be out or up at some point, and they must sleep. Or do you know somebody who uses them 24/7 - perhaps yourself? As I said, this is the first I'd heard of them.

I was thinking more in terms of maybe 2/3 power, 12 hours a day, less than a pound a week. If somebody can't afford that, trying to keep warm is the least of their worries . . .

It's far from ideal on a number of levels thinking that way as a solution to fuel poverty, but at least it's there.

Reply to
RJH

Do many have heating on 24/7? That would certainly waste money when in bed.

But let's look at some figures.

Electricity is about 12p a unit.

The winter heating allowance is 200 quid. That will run a 1 bar fire for

120 days (4 months) at 14 hours a day.

What is likely to have a far greater effect on some OAPs is the withdrawal of meals on wheels - and other services. All in the quest to reduce taxes for the very rich.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't conclude the peak in 2013-14 was down to 'energy poverty'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Assuming they have a care package then they get a carer coming in to cook food for them instead of meals on wheels. Or that's what happens around here.

They also have much better quality microwave meals delivered than meals on wheels provided.

Of course there are elderly that refuse to have a care package or that don't qualify because they have more than £22k in savings.

Reply to
dennis

Not sure that's the best use of a carer, given their usually very limited hours.

Depends on the area. Some hot meals on wheels were pretty good. Often provided by school etc kitchens. If a microwave meal will do you can buy them from a supermarket.

Not all elderly need a 'care' package. Snag is it's those who do who have suffered from the cuts in funding for such things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Like I said, a very small part of what the food would cost so perfectly possible to do both.

Reply to
grjw

Sure, most obviously with those who grow their own food, but there wouldn?t be many who couldn?t afford to do both and most would be spending a lot more than that on the food, so it would be perfectly possible for them to have both heat and food.

Reply to
grjw

assuming they could afford to buy the blanket

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Still perfectly possible to have both heat and eat when the heat costs so little. Even if the heat does reduce the amount available to spend on food a little, it is reduced by so little that it doesn't matter.

Clearly too complex a concept for you.

Reply to
grjw

You arent permanently wrapped in an electric blanket, you only use it when sitting around watching TV or reading etc. Even you should have noticed that when you are doing something like cleaning, that activity keeps you warm.

Reply to
grjw

own---70-x-150cm

About tuppence an hour at full whack, 32p a day £2.24 a week.

My figures are for 16hrs a day on 150w, which is quite high power. It shoul d be less much of the time.

what do they do the other hours in midwinter?

I once tried an Indian microwave space heater. It made 10C room temp nice & comfortable. But they're not cheap, and possibly not a few other things ei ther.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Used electric blankets don?t cost much.

Reply to
grjw

Meals on wheels stopped being useful when people got freezers & microwaves. Tesco meals delivered are far cheaper.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

th