Wing mirrors on cars

Yup. You'll also almost certainly have a default C1 on it too which allows you to drive a truck up to 7.5 tons loaded but since (90s? 00s?) new car drivers can only drive up to 3.5 tons loaded else they need to do a C1 test. Not sure what the rules for minibuses are on a car license.

(As a side note, what is the obsession with the 0.5 ton on everything? Why not just 7 or 8 tons?)

Reply to
boltar

When I became 70, I lost various things like Minibus. I no longer have C1 either.

Reply to
charles

OK, I get it. You just like being antisocial.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And trolling. And being completely wrong about more-or-less everything.

Reply to
Huge

Well you'd know all about that. If you want to tow over 3.5 tons combined then you need B+E.

Reply to
boltar

You can pretend the world is the way you want it to be or you can deal with it as it is. The fact it those fields have been abused for years and should always be ignored. If you want to limit the groups in the reply change the Newsgroups field itself but of course that way the troll can't have his sign-off flourish if he wants it to go to a different group.

Reply to
boltar

Talking to yourself on usenet is a bit worrying. You should see someone.

Reply to
boltar

Ah, so your earlier statement " to tow anything behind a car or van you now need B+E" was incorrect. Now you say "If you want to tow over 3.5 tons combined then you need B+E", which was my understanding of the situation for drivers which pass nowadays - that you *can* legally tow with a car licence (Class B) *as long the the trailer is small enough for the combined weight to be under 3.5 tonnes*.

It would have been so much easier if they'd defined the classes as:

- one class for car

- one add-on class for trailer up to combined 3.5T

- one add-on class for trailer exceeding 3.5T

rather than defining a class as being one thing plus a little bit of another thing.

I'd expect Class B to be defined as car-only, and then additional letters to define different sizes of trailers, with extra tests required to upgrade from car-only, because of the need to prove that you'd mastered reversing an articulated vehicle.

I presume (and I may be wrong) that an HGV learner driver who can already reverse a car and caravan is at a distinct advantage (when first learning) compared with a driver who has never towed anything articulated, and that the car-towing skill is transferrable. Obviously there are a great many differences - width, length, more powerful trailer brakes, very different ratio between towing-axle-to-hitch and hitch-to-towed-axle distances - which affects how much you need to swing the towing vehicle to steer the towed vehicle by a certain amount, but the basic principle is the same. Is that correct?

Reply to
NY

Well you'd think. But coming up with something sensible and easy to understand would go against all the principles the EU holds dear. One can hope once we've broken away from that failing institution we might slowly update our driving class and regs but I won't hold my breath. Our civil servants are little better.

I guess so but I've never towed anything with a car so couldn't say for sure. However reversing something with a 5th wheel apparently isn't quite the same as reversing something on a bar but I've only driven a wagon & drags so I'm not in a position to say.

Reply to
boltar

Nope. I've heard that drivers for CF that mostly pulled doubles and triples could back up a set of doubles but I never managed more than about ten feet before each trailer wanted to go its own way.

Reply to
rbowman

The joke among truckers is

What is the difference between a bull wagon (livestock hauler) and a bus?

You can use an electric prod on the cows.

Reply to
rbowman

Can you provide evidence that the category system is EU-mandated?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think you can retain the extra classes if you need them. Maybe you need a letter from your doctor.

Reply to
Max Demian

You don't need skill if you have a good excuse. At work one day years ago the truck and 40' trailer was backed into one of the shipping doors and it had to be moved. Driver was gone for the day so I said I'd move it to another door about 20 feet away. I backed it in. perfectly square, but 3 feet away from the door. When asked, I just said "I didn't want to block the air flow"

My first experience backing a boat trailer was horrid too. Once I learned how, I could back a trailer along a turning and twisting path. Easy once you know how and hold the wheel on the bottom.

Reply to
Ed

boltar

There are sometimes sound reasons for continuing thread divergence in fewer groups, or a different group. 'Follow-up' headers are a neat, effortless way of doing so. It is conventional to mention in the message that you've set follow-ups and it may be abusive (or careless) not to do so. That doesn't mean they should be programmatically ignored. A warning is good, though.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

You need a formal HGV medical report. Including a optician report if your doctor doesn't do eye tests. What I don't know is if you can regain the classes later without an HGV test if you relinquish them at

70.
Reply to
Roger Hayter

Of course not. It's "boltar". He's wrong about *everything*.

Reply to
Huge
[14 lines snipped]

At a job I had many years ago, my desk overlooked a yard where they taught artic (US: semitrailer) drivers to drive. They had an exercise where they laid out 4 road cones in a line, about 20 yards apart, and the driver drove the artic zigzag in and out of them, around the end one and back again.

Backwards.

The instructors could do it at great speed. The trainees, well, I wish I'd had the contract to supply them with road cones.

Reply to
Huge

I'd find it hard enough to reverse a car around cones in a slalom "at great speed" if the cones were spaced closer together to match the shorter length of a car. :-)

I've seen film of HGV instructors doing it and it confirms my suspicion that those guys are superhuman ;-)

Reply to
NY