"white" veneers ?

Hi all,

I'm looking to update my kitchen with some gloss white drawer fronnts and cupboard doors (sort of thing you see in posh magazines).

Cupboard doors are way overpriced (20 - 40 quid in B&Q !! ) , and I dont seee a huge problem with making them out of MDF or similar, ( using richards super duper sawboard

)however whats the best way to get that ultra modern gloss white front ?

I cant see gloss paint being good enough, so I'm thinking of getting somthing like a plain white veneer ( no grain )....

anyone know where I can get something like this ? should I just bite the bullet and pay top dollar for the fronts ? anyone know a better way ?

Cheers Simon

Reply to
simonsmith.uk

Interesting, we have just ripped out the high gloss white doors on our kitchen after 3 years because SHMBO thought they looked "cheap"... each to their own of course ;)

I sprayed a couple of filler pieces with several coats of automotive cellulose paint - gave a reasonable gloss finish, though not as good as the original. May just be my spray painting technique at fault though ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

I should imagine the shop ones are sprayed. MDF, well sanded on corners, undercoat, cut back with fine paper, sprayed, laquered, done. A bit like the finish on a car. It could take a while to do. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Assuming you've used a high build primer, and sanded it absolutely smooth with fine wet or dry, car cellulose can give a perfect finish. Just put on enough, then sand again with fine wet or dry until smooth, then polish with cutting compound. Trouble is it's a very expensive paint.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unless they're plain, I very much doubt you can match the price, everything included.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Smoothrite thats been allowed to harden for a few weeks then polished?

Reply to
Badger

Genius !!!

I know a guy who resprays cars cheaply , will give him a call Didn't think to put the two together :)

Reply to
simonsmith.uk