Small white flakes in fridge water (update)

After reading multiple discussions and websites about the possibility of certain refrigerator reservoirs breaking down in chlorinated water causing tissue-like little flakes in the chilled water, I dished out the bucks and ordered a new coil-type reservoir and installed it.

Well, weeks later and after countless gallons having been run through, I see no difference. Flakes.

When I took out the old reservoir, I emptied it, filled it with water, shook it out, and inspected the water that came out. No flakes.

The flakes for me are not coming from the reservoir. I don't have or need a filter, so they're not coming from that either.

No solution yet, but at least I know it wasn't the reservoir.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

Maybe it's just from hard water.

Reply to
Bob

Duh. Me thinks you need a filter. It will stop the flakes.

Reply to
WM

Duh. What did I tell you? I don't need a filter. This problem only comes up with water that passes through the fridge.

Also, the water is good city water, and the flakes are flexible ultra-thin material that doesn't dissolve in acid, so it's not hard water.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

I had that problem a few years ago and discovered that yje paint in the compartment was peeling away. I new fridge rectified. Jesse

Reply to
Jesse
  1. snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Jan 13, 12:01 p

"Duh. What did I tell you? I don't need a filter. This problem only comes up with water that passes through the fridge. "

I have town water too and I can also see white sediment in the chilled water from my fridge, but not in a glass drawn from the sink. I concluded it was from minerals that are settling out somehow in the reservoir in the fridge. It's possible that the temp drop contributes to this happening. There is definitely mineral content in the water, as I can see a reasonable amount of white material that gets deposited on my humidifier element on the furnace. Since you replaced the reservoir, it's possible there is still material left in the lines that may take some time to flush out.

If it's truly disolved minerals, then a filter may not solve it, but a water softner should. Unfortunately, thats a lot of bucks for a glass of water from the fridge.

Reply to
trader4

I find it impossible to believe that it is anything of mineral origin since, as I mentioned, the ultra-thin flakes are very flexible and will not dissolve in acid. I suspect bad tubing elsewhere in the fridge, but I'm not going to tear everything apart to fix it. I just wanted folks to know that the reservoir theory may be wrong or only partially correct.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

It's called CALCIUM. Probably in the line to the fridge or all your pipes. It's not harmful. In fact it's good for you. If it really bothers you, I believe they make cartridge filters to put in the line to the fridge, but you have t change them regularly.

==================

Reply to
reverend.wallace

It is unlikely coming from the lines, It also could be what is called cold water slime. A bacteria that grows in ice machines, I work in the commercial field and primarly service ice machines. Now home makers make ice a little different. But you can get scale build up, or slime from making ice. And water filters that remove scale build up are far from 100 percent. Soft water is actually good to reduce scale but contribute to slime build up. Ill take a picture of a reallly nasty machine and post them to give a idea of what I am talking about. I suggest you call the manfacture and ask what they suggest you can do about youre problem. Oh just wondering do you know for a fact youre fridge does not have a water filter installed from factory? I believe a while back some body posted about the very same thing you are saying and they did not know they had a filter and it was putting crud into the water supply.

Reply to
hiebs

replying to yellowbirddog, Jason wrote: I too have these flakes...just started noticing them after a new filter, but they were probably there before. Like you, I have scoured the web looking for answers and good Lord there are so many morons out there who believe they are mechanical geniuses. Frustrating. I'm not going to bank on any of these anonymous "experts" with something that my family is putting in their bodies. I'll call a repairman for advice and will likely end up with a new fridge. This one is over 15 years old anyway.

Reply to
Jason

replying to reverend.wallace, Jason wrote: Wow, you can identify it as calcium just from words, and you show medical knowledge by stating it is good for our health. You should be teaching at Harvard.

Reply to
Jason

Well Jason, you're late. "yellowbirddog" died more than *TEN YEARS AGO* due to a fatal bladder explosion. It was FILLED with little white flakes.

You are due. Hey, how come you know how old your fridge is but can't READ DATES on Home Moaners Hub posts? Eh?

Reply to
Sam Hill

My fridge is over 37 years old and working fine.

Reply to
micky

Replaced an older 14 cu ft fridge with a new larger one, 18 cu ft self defrosting. Electric dropped $10 month

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski