Which white gloss?

I've been nominated, as in ordered, to paint the hall, landing and stairs at our daughter's place prior to her having new carpet nailed down. I thought to do a job which I won't have to return to in eighteen months time because the white has faded or gone yellow and as this is the top of the mountain...... Is there a particular white gloss paint to be recommended?

Reply to
Harry

If staying white is important, a water based one is likely better.

I used B&Q own brand water based stuff in my hall and stairs a couple of years ago and it seems to be resisting chipping etc well. But the stuff I used is neither white or gloss. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

International High Gloss White Radiator Enamel. It's expensive and the solvent absolutely stinks the house out. But it's very glossy and hard wearing (unlike water based "gloss") and very bright white and stays that way (unlike alkyd based paints).

Reply to
Antony

But I'm a capitol fellow... I can buy "expensive" but was hoping for advice on quality too :-) I've never used "trade" paints and was wondering whether they were really worth the extra layout. I did use a B&Q gloss in their bathroom about six months back and have to say it's already showing as yellowing. My own last house was lathered in whatever came to hand and, to be honest, one finish never looked any different to another to me. I'm trying to "do it right" this time though, hence the ask and if it works OK at the daughter's I'll be going on to tackle my place - so I've been told.... This morning a local shop tried to steer me towards Johnstone's, telling me it's made by Leyland, but I'm still in a browsing, pondering mode rather than a hands in pocket for cash one. Locally I've an apparant choice from Berger,the cheapest, Crown Trade, Dulux and the two aforementioned, but, apart from pounds in price difference don't know which to go for - although I do like the idea of water based.

Reply to
Harry

I've used the Sikkens Rubbol paint and like it a lot. It is water based, dries very quickly. Top coat can go on after three-four hours although I usually leave it overnight. I used it because it was the only true matt paint that I could find and that was what I was after. But they do a gloss as well.

Andrew May

Having tried others, I now only buy Dulux. It is widely available and very reliable.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I painted some internal woodwork with several coats of oil-based brilliant white non-drip gloss a few months ago, and it's already yellower than I would like. The woodwork is in a room that gets very little natural light. I've read that illumination helps to prevent yellowing.

On the other hand, it might just be because I didn't stir the paint enough or prepare the surfaces properly.

In any case, I'm going to try water-based paints next time I want white indoors.

Reply to
MuddyFork

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:06:19 +0100, "MuddyFork" gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

I undersstand the brilliant white was first designed for exterior work as it needed UV light to stay white. I use Duklux trade .. steer clear of the non drip and one coat versions you get in the sheds. They can be hard to apply and can never be rubbed down.

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Mike P the 1st wrote: ...

It was widely recommended for exterior work when introduced because, unlike white lead, titanium dioxide does not discolour when exposed to atmospheric sulphur from coal fires.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

So...is the consensus that, whatever the brand, it _is_ worth paying extra for a trade gloss?

Reply to
Harry

Not IMO. Just buy any solvent based "liquid gloss". It's the resin that discolours in UV rather than the pigment I think. Water based acrylics stay white, the downside being that they're not very tough

Reply to
stuart noble

OK, looks as if I'm off to buy a water based acrylic then - it's safe enough on the stairs and can be touched in when and if. Many thanks to one and all.

Reply to
Harry

At least it should match some years afterwards to clean old paint.

FWIW, I've found the B&Q water based stuff as good as solvent based on my stairs chip wise. Think it was more expensive, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For what it's worth, some tradesfolk on the Screwfix decorating forum tend to recommend Crown Solo. I've been using it for a while and find it goes on well, runs not a lot and gives a good shiny surface. What I've never been able to do, with that or any other "one coat" paint, is get a good finish with only one coat; I find it needs two for coverage and three for a deep shine. Does give a lovely shine though, if you like shiny. I expect it yellows though.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Several years ago, I had my parent's house decorated inside, he used Permoglaze, which has not been mentioned here. The white gloss is still bright, no yellowing anywhere. I cannot recall when I last saw it on sale, it does not seem to be in B & Q etc, but found website listing it.

Reply to
4square