Blue Calor Gas bottles

Probably a daft question, but do these bottles have to be used upright, or can they be used lying on their sides?

Reply to
Graeme

Upright, unless you intend to make a flame thrower.

Reply to
Vortex7

Ah. OK, thanks. I rather assumed they had to be upright, but thought I'd ask.

Reply to
Graeme

In message , Graeme writes

Do you need a spare?

One floated down the river and is occupying space in my barn.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I could use one if it is going free. Where in the world are you?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

interesting that all the LPG powered fork lifts use then lying on their side ... would tend to assume there is no issue ? .... but I have no proof either way.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

My council skip site has a cage full of bottles ... I dropped some Handy Gas & Shell Gas ones off last week ... should be easy enough to pick one up.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Only time I ever drove one (school holiday job in 1969!) I was told the forklift drew *liquid* from the cylinder. The gubbins inside catered for the phase change. I rather think your average burner ain't so sophisticated.

Reply to
Robin

In message , David WE Roberts writes

Wheathampstead. Herts. Long way from Felixstowe!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

IIRC forklifts use different cylinders, they only look the same.

Reply to
dennis

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Sadly, the postage would probably exceed the value, and I'm fairly sure Royal Mail would not be happy carrying a gas cylinder - but thanks :-)

Reply to
Graeme

There is a tube inside the cylinder which goes along the axis for a ways and then turns in a right-angle to nearly touch the side wall.

Cylinders for forklifts are "special" in this respect and have arrows on them saying "this way up" so that, when fitted correctly, the "dip tube" points straight down.

Thus, the vapour pressure in the cylinder pushes liquid down the fuel line, not gas.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

I wonder if it's got a note inside? ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

I hope you are not thinking *angle grinder* job!

On the misuse of acetylene cylinders.... one had been acquired by my father as ballast for some farm activity and discarded close to a stored timber greenhouse. 15 or so years later, a farm fire destroyed the greenhouse and set off the cylinder. I was not present to hear the bang but found the residue 300m distant.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb