Where can I buy 1 AA battery?

My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of 8) and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates are optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices do still use these batteries?)

tim

Reply to
tim....

Try ebay ?

Reply to
Joseph Craine

Better still buy 8 and sell 7 on ebay!

Reply to
Jim S

Some shops used to regularly split battery packs for you. It's a long time since I've asked but it might be worth trying the smaller hardware stores.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Why are you even considering throwing away the ones you don't need .Give them away or sell them to friends or neighbours who can use them . I have several things that still use AA batteries .I have a clock,an alarm,I think an old camera uses them and a flash exposure meter and I'm sure I have other things as well ( cordless 'phone for one comes to mind). You can still get 2 packs .This website sells them altho' I'm not suggesting u buy them from there with the delivery costs

Usenet Nutter

I did.

Even if there is someone selling them as singles you are swamped with (3000) people selling them in large multi-packs. After all, the postage cost is going to negate any saving that I can make by buying 1 instead of 4.

tim

Reply to
tim....

I was speaking metaphorically. I will, of course, be out selling them on the street :-)

only in the super dooper expensive ones,

I can buy these in the shop at 6.99 for two as against 3.89 for 4 (or 8) of the normal lithium ones. I don't think my clock will benefit from the extra power offered here

tim

Reply to
tim....

with small shops. They may break a pack. They did for me when I wanted a "D" Cell.

you seem to imply that AA is becoming less popular. This cannot be the case/

Reply to
John

My local ironmongers sells singles.

Keep them in the fridge.

Reply to
Huge

To bring this on-topic for a DIY group -

Mark

Reply to
marpate1

Can you use a re-chargable AA? If so these are worth getting, but you will need a charger that takes singles too.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

All the same devices that ever used them. What do you think has changed?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Poundshop. It'll wear out so quick you'll need the others. :)

Reply to
mogga

> Persevere with small shops. They may break a pack. They did for me when I

from what's on sale in the shops you should be correct.

But from a sample of the things in my house that need batteries, the majority of the current generation either take 2 AAA cells or use a bespoke rechargeable cell.

tim

Reply to
tim....

TV remote control - uses 2x AA. Maglite 2AA torch - uses 2x AA, good torch for house or CAR. CO detector - uses 3x AA. Bedside clock/alarm - uses 1-2-3-4 AA.

You can often buy 8-16 at miserable places like Asda for =A33 or 4 for =A33 (weird isn't it).

Reply to
js.b1

All the same devices that ever used them. What do you think has changed?

I don't think, I know. AAs used to be used by remote control units. All 5 in my house now take 2 AAA cells.

I used to have a torch that took them, I now have one of these:

used to have a small travel razor that took them, these now come with internal rechargeable batteries.

Anything else still take them?

tim

Reply to
tim....

I can save a penny and buy Tesco economy range, but I suspect that they will suffer the same problem.

tim

Reply to
tim....

What's off topic about my question?

I'm walking to the store myself. I'm going to remove the old battery and put the old one in myself, what's not DIY here?

thanks

tim

Reply to
tim....

How long have you had this TV?

Really. I'd assume that this is similar to a smoke detector and all the these that I have had took PP3s (the current house is "wired").

Reply to
tim....

Use this from the fridge?

Adrian C