6 AA cell battery holder

After very many years my Kamasa 4" 7.4V battery grinder has a defunct

6 AA NiCad battery. I recelled it in 2013 with the 2/3 C 2Ah cells.

In common with my ancient Ryobi 18V drill 4 of the cells are in the D section leg that plugs in the handle and the othe two at right angles at the bottom. Having something sticking out a bit further is no great problem so I thought of trying 2 strings of 3 2500mA AA Nimh but cannot find a battery holder.

Nearest is 2 Bulgin BX0013/1 in parallel but that would cost nigh on to

30quid, any other DIY options, maybe fabricating something from plastic pipes?

The other option is to treat myself to a 115mm brushless angle grinder but that seems a bit overkill for my purposes, I have 5" and 9" 240V angle grinders.

Reply to
AJH

Are these straight cells, not tagged then?

If you are talking about a straight battery clip, I have 3D printed various sizes and you can buy the spring / plain contacts for each end off Amazon / Ali express etc.

Depending on your exact need, I would be more than happy to see if I could design / print something to suit?

Or here:

Most of the rechargeable packs I have come across are spot welded / tagged cells and are often glued / heatshrinked to form a 'pack'?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

How about something like:

Or at a surprisingly low price, so unlike RS:

Fredxx

Don't think a battery holder that allows the cells to be changed will work well. For best results the cells need to have welded connections. Re-chargeables can supply a lot more current than alkaline.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes but for my occasional use the heat from the resistance between cells may not be an issue, it just means I can carry on using the tool rather than dispose of it.

Reply to
AJH

Thank you, either of those look good and cheap enough to try.

I wonder why I couldn't find them in my searches.

Reply to
AJH

Currently they are tagged but I want to use individual rechargeable AA cells so I can fit them in an ordinary charger

Thanks for the offer I will contact you if all else fails.

Reply to
AJH

Think you'll find the performance so poor you'll no longer want to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It's not the heat, it's the voltage drop. If you have a 7.2v tool and you add series resistance due to the contacts, not much power actually gets delivered to the motor.

At this point, buying a new one gets you a much better (lithium ion) battery pack and probably a more powerful motor. It can deliver more power than the original one ever could, even before you bodge it.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

That's why I 3D printed some HD D cell holders because the std ones would just melt as soon as you tried to put any real current though them. And if you are cycling 7Ah cells you generally do have to do just that.

I did try the std offerings but the contacts just melted through the clip. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yet most 3D printers specifically use plastics and materials than melt at low temperatures.

Mine can do ABS so can cope with boiling water temperatures but not all/many do. Most people use PLA.

Reply to
Fredxx