Can I MOW over BURLAP?

Greetings.

Trying to resurrect my lawn after seeing it destroyed by house renovations (expansion). It never grew well along the shady side of the house, and now that area is a six-foot-wide path the neighbors need to travel to maintain their hedge. I'd like to throw seed, water well, put down burlap, wait for growth, and then mow. The burlap, I'm told, will dissintegrate. But surely it can't decompose as quickly as, say, straw matting. If I try to mow once the grass is tall enough, is the burlap going to get tangled in the mower and tear out the new grass?

Thanks.

RW

(On the bright side, the rhubarb seems to have survived a summer in buckets followed by late fall transplanting. Okay, yeah, that's hardly surprising. What a great plant!)

Reply to
Rebecca Webb

If the grass never grew well in that spot before, why do you think it will grow there now? As a general rule, grass and shade don't mix.

Reply to
~El Gorda~

I agree with ElGorda - as Albert Einstein wrote: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results... :-) Gary

Reply to
Gary

The burlap. Are you telling me I'm putting too much faith in it? My thought is, even if it doesn't help grass grow (by containing the moisture), it'll provide something environmentally-friendly to walk on (i.e. keep folks out of the mud) until I can think what else to do.

As a general rule, grass and shade don't mix.

But (RW braces herself for the laughs) the grass seed bag said, "For full shade."

RW

Reply to
Rebecca Webb

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
Brian

Hmmmmmmm......... so shade and grass do not mix.... I better go dig up the grass I planted last year and this year under my oaks and pines before it finds out its not uspposed to be able to grow in the shade....... Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy