When I'm Cleaning Windows...

The toughened glass in our patio doors (single glazed - 18 years old) is a real pain : ) to clean without leaving smears. It is almost as though the glass is different and needs a different technique.

Has anyone else noticed this - or must there be some reason unconnected with the fact it is toughened?

Reply to
John

I've noticed that different glasses react differently to different methods of cleaning.

The most efficient method I've found for every type of glass is a steam cleaner. No smears, no chemicals.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And cracks during the winter months because the steam was to hot for the cold glass. :-))

Water, vinegar and elbow grease is the best for any glass.

Reply to
BigWallop

Well, you don't tend to use this in the washing up bowl. I just do windows the same way as drinking glasses - only don't use much washing up liquid. And polish with a clean cloth after rinsing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Yes, that's how I clean the glass in louvred windows - in the washing up bowl.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"BigWallop" wrote in news:Ff%Va.4786$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net:

I like Flash. it's got a good detergent action, not much foaming and squeegees or rises off easily

mike r

Reply to
Mike Ring

In news:7NTVa.603$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net, Satans twisted little helper, spouted such drivel as:

I was told to use damp newspaper on a window once. It seemed to be like an old wives tale, but it did leave it smear free. I guess it's something in the printers ink. (along the lines of vinegar?) regards Neal

Reply to
NealUK

Hmmm, I think that may be a distortion of the traditional use of *dry* scrunched up newspaper to polish picture frame glass before framing the picture with it. It polishes without leaving the glass covered in dust particles. Maybe its something to do with carbon in the ink acting as an anti-static.

-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NO DOT SPAM with BIGFOOT DOT COM to reply

Reply to
Phil Addison