Friedland bell push eats batteries

Send the second one back as well. The product wasn't fit for purpose and they haven't solved the problem with the replacement. The warranty is irrelevant.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Is it the type with integral light, which is intended to run from a transformer?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Can anyone offer a solution to the problem of a Friedland wireless bell-push which eats batteries? I have two push units at different doors, one works perfectly but the other fails within a day of a new battery being inserted, apparently due to the (new) battery being exhausted. Strangely the one which fails was a separate unit in a blister pack, bought as an addition to the main unit which was supplied with a single push. I sent the first failing unit back under warranty (now expired), but the replacement which I received behaves exactly the same. I think that there must be a wiring fault in the push unit, perhaps a short circuit, but there is only a printed circuit board to be seen inside.

-- Any help TIA, mutley Please reply to Newsgroup scrambled address 'Man cannot live by bread alone; he also needs real ale'

Reply to
mutley

The main unit is a Libra D346E wireless Chime run off a transformer (optional). The bell push which keeps on failing is a separate D260 white sender unit with CR2032 cell.

regards, mutley

Reply to
mutley

Hi,

Is the button at the top or at the bottom?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

CR2032 isnt a good start, the capacity of those is 0.000000000001 joules. Approximately. Does it have a light of any kind? That would kill it. Anyway, its not fit for purpose, return it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

For the benefit of Andrew... The bell push is a self contained wireless unit designed to operate from a watch style 3v Lithium cell. Powering the push from a transformer is not an option.

The battery is perfectly adequate for the purpose, these bell pushes can run for many years on the same cell. Current draw is much less than a watch when the push is not operated. They are often fitted with an LED which confirms that the push has been operated. The cell life will be similar to the shelf life of in excess of five years, depending upon use and usually exceeds the life of the sounder batteries.

If the cell is not lasting, then consider two possibilities.

  1. The rubber button has been wrongly installed, trapping the button in in operation permanently.

  1. Moisture getting inside the bell push perhaps from mounting it in a particularly exposed location.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Some of the crap unmarked ones definitely :)

There are some interesting graphs that show that the (standard) CR2032 actually has a capacity of 210mAh - if the current draw is around 0.03mA or less... It's down to 100mAh at 0degC and a draw of 100mA, which is still reasonable really, given its small size.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

There's summat up with it, or your supply of CR2032 cells.

We've had one for about 3 years and the Tx is still on it's original battery.

The batteries in the sounder unit seem to last about 6 months, so yes we do occasionally get the odd visitor.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^