bell push wiring in electric conduit

Is it within the regs to put the twin wire for a door bell push though the same plastic sheathing that suplies the mains door light beneath the plaster indoorsn in the front porch. Suitably heavily insulated flex that is. Otherwise a new channel needs to be chased out which seems a bit of a waste and wouldn't improve safety that much.

john2

Reply to
john2

Only if it's insulated to the same level as the mains cable.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'll get the chisels out then

Reply to
john2

As I said, it isn't absolutely necessary (although preferred). The straight 'No' answer is incorrect.

411-02-06 allows, inter alia, sharing of the type you describe if all cables are insulated to the highest voltage present, or if an additional sheathing is used round those cables that don't meet the requirement.

Unless it's really difficult, I'd still use the chisel. 50mm separation, I believe.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's fine, provided the bell push cable would be acceptable for 230V mains, even if the bell push only uses extra low voltage. Bell wire is not acceptable.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

So you could use a bit of 2-core flex of the sort table lamps use for the section that's in the conduit with the mains cable?

Reply to
Guy King

I guess so...although I'd prefer to use something a bit tougher. Where I've had to run cables like this in proximity (not in ducts though) I've used the flexible ribbed round section trunking and the 'normal' cable.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:14:20 +0100 someone who may be john2 wrote this:-

To add to what others have said, it is acceptable to use a cable insulated for the highest voltage but one must also ensure that the same thing applies to any joints and their enclosures.

Reply to
David Hansen

Is the 50mm correct?. The interior wall parallel with the porch door, is only 150mm wide on the inside of the door pillar. The existing mains cable is in the middle of this so I chiseled out a new vertical channel

50cm long in a couple of minutes, but only about 30mm away, making a major dusty mess, So I guess the bell cable should be mains insulated just to make sure.

john2

Reply to
john2

It's good practice, but not a firm requirement. Provided there's physical separation that will reliably prevent the wires or cables touching there's no problem.

Reply to
Andy Wade

If you use mains flex rather than dedicated bell wire I can't see the problem. Apart from physical space, that is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I certainly wouldn't like to shock visitors to the front door. J. Witnesses excepted of course.

john2

Reply to
john2