Whats this then?

If it's solid cast in situ stuff rather than a panel product, it may be strawcrete.

When I worked at Oxford Brookes, one building had a roof of the stuff. Apparently they had visitors from around the world look at it, as it was a very low cost technique suitable for developing countries.

Reply to
dom

No, it is Woodwool. See my previous postings.

Reply to
Bruce

Does the M1 still go down to two lanes for a section of viaduct as it passes Sheffield near the old steelworks cooling towers?

Reply to
cynic

Yes it does. That was instigated before/whilst/until the Tinsley Viaduct was being strengthened (Again ! ) and proved so successful that there are no plans to widen it back out to 3 lanes. So they say.

Far be it from me to suggest it is in order to reduce the payout when it eventually does a "Santa - Monica".

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Does the M1 still go down to two lanes for a section of viaduct as it passes Sheffield near the old steelworks cooling towers?

Yes. It is a PITA unless you are joining the motorway at J34.

The cooling towers are not steelwork towers but old power station cooling towers.

Sheffield tried to save them but they are still doomed.

One of the worst feelings I have ever had is getting out of my car on the underpass part of the viaduct to help the driver in front of me when his car had broken down. The whole bridge/viaduct moves as traffic passes over the top half. I felt sea sick.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

That isn't quite true. The last strengthening brought it up to full strength for the largest lorries and it is fully capable of supporting three lanes of traffic in each direction.

However, the intention is to leave it restricted to two lanes each way until the M1 on each side of it is widened from three to four lanes each way. And apparently that's official, from the Highways Agency.

Reply to
Bruce

Hmmm, that's odd isn't it just after they supposedly got it sorted after *many* years of it being reduced to 2 lanes presumably in order to minimise the payout in the event of a "Santa Monica Freeway" incident.

I can distinctly remember it being lane -restricted Ca. 1970 when I used it every week to get back to Leeds from working in London (+ret.)

I've not seen that on their website, however their pronunciations on the topic have been both capricious and sparse.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I think there have been three major schemes of work on the Tinsley Viaduct. The first was to strengthen it after several failures of box girder bridges elsewhere cast doubt on part of the design method used for all of them. Then there was a second round of work to make access into the box girders easier for internal repainting and other maintenance. Finally, the most recent contract was to strengthen the structure to take the latest EU-proposed Large Goods Vehicles which are at least twice as heavy as anything the bridge was originally designed for. There may have been a fourth contract somewhere in between, but I'm certain of those three.

I got that from one of the engineering magazines, plus from a former colleague of mine who worked on the last contract. I asked him when the viaduct would be restored to three lanes and he told me that, according to the Highways Agency, it would have to stay at dual two lanes until the M1 was widened to dual four lanes, when the viaduct would revert to dual three lanes. I recall that the decision related to the capacity for queueing traffic waiting to exit the M1.

Stop Press: I have just found the following official press release from the Highways Agency dated 10 October 2005:

states:

It has been decided that the current layout of two lanes each way, with dedicated lanes for traffic entering and leaving the M1 at this busy junction, will be maintained until the completion of work to widen the M1 between Chesterfield and Leeds, which was announced in April this year.

Reply to
Bruce

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it relates to the Stramit board some of you have mentioned. We are looking to buy, and saw a house today with Stramit sheeting (flat roof built 1960's) that had water damage inside around the c himney and some of the eaves had damage too. In parts the swelling had brok en through the plasterboard underside, but not to a significant extent and only in a couple of places. My question is, can this be repaired without re placing the whole roof? The owners had metal roof sheeting installed over t he panel 7 years ago but it looks like the roof is still leaking. Complete overhaul or worth repairing? We love the house.

Reply to
lizbrogden

Money pit comes to mind here

Reply to
Bob H

you have mentioned. We are looking to buy, and saw a house today with Stra mit sheeting (flat roof built 1960's) that had water damage inside around t he chimney and some of the eaves had damage too. In parts the swelling had broken through the plasterboard underside, but not to a significant extent and only in a couple of places. My question is, can this be repaired withou t replacing the whole roof? The owners had metal roof sheeting installed ov er the panel 7 years ago but it looks like the roof is still leaking. Compl ete overhaul or worth repairing? We love the house.

quote for new roof knocked off pch price comes to mind here

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

They are still on the go.