Sinking feeling?

Changed a sink for a lady last week, overdue IMO, one of those houses where you wipe your feet on the way out.

overdue IMO.

Very odd fixing method though

out for taps & blanking plug, sink was held down by screws from underneath going into moulded inserts - actually much better than those poxy fixings supplied with modern sinks.

Never seen the like before.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm guessing the new sink was an exact match for the old one ..Wouldn't want to throw that nice worktop out would she ?

What make of sink was it ?

Reply to
the realfictitious

Yeh right. Some wood butchering with a jigsaw were required.

No idea, no name I could find. Judging by the rest of the house it was installed in the 1960's.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

etc (so I don't have to crick my neck again)! ;-)

If not then this is really quick, easy and free.

T i m

p.s. I'd install it with pretty well all the defaults, except (as always) de-select the Google toolbar etc and I'd set it for 'Images only' (although it can also play all kinds of video and do other things I don't use it for those)..

Reply to
T i m

I tried to do that in Photobucket & they rotated, but there was no option to save them like that.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

This reminds me of one of those nagging things at the back of my mind. We have granite worktops, and of course a cut out for the sink. Now I expect the granite will last longer than the sink (potentially by a few thousand years I guess, though we'll probably move house before then). Also the granite cost some ridiculous amount which I would rather forget. Clearly the hole is the right size for the current sink, but maybe not for anything else.

So

a) How long do stainless steel sinks last? (it was a good make as I recall, something italian, about three years old now)

b) Do sinks (and their holes) come in fairly standard sizes should a time come when I need to replace it?

c) Based on the above, should I dig out the papers on what the sink was (I think I still have them), buy a spare and bung it in the loft?

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
martin_pentreath

Are you saying they were in Landscape in your camera and PB rotated them to Portrait or *just* the you tried to rotate them in PB but the setting didn't stick?

As a general rule I don't assume anything else can do / cope with anything I want to do and do it myself in any case.

Also handy to have them in yer portfolio the right way round (assuming they aren't etc ..).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If you upload a pic to PB then click "edit" just above the thumbnail a programme will open .Rotate the image ( button up top) then click the "Replace Original" button down at the bottom and it will replace one image with the rotated one . Dunno why they can't just use a "save" button like everyone else .You can tho' save a copy as well as the original if you want one rotated and one not . Butall that will only be in PB and not where the original original pic is .

Reply to
the realfictitious

Quite a long time if you look after them. We got rid of two (in different rooms) after about 20 years each - and they were still ok, but just replaced as part of a larger re-furb.

I wouldn't rely on it!

Might be a wise precaution, bearing in mind the implications of requiring a different size hole in the granite.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Which reminds me obliquely I was in the B&Q Warehouse on Edgware Road recently, they were selling sinks of the separate circular bowl + circular drainer variety for £35 which seemed like a decent buy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Separate sink and drainer? Avoid like the plague unless you don't actually do much washing up. Water will forever be dribbling down the gap between them.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Not a problem on a granite worktop and don't most people have a dishwasher these days? I only have a problem with washing things in a sink when it's his day off.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I don't.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Don't you just love veering wildly off-topic? I'd rather scrap the washing machine and fridge than the dishwasher.

Reply to
martin_pentreath

I'm not veering off-topic - simply replying to Steve's question.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Nothing wrong with veering wildly off topic, washboard willy

Reply to
geoff

Longer than SWMBO'd will want to keep the kitchen. No matter how much that granite cost...

Seriously as you say it's a decent make and presumably fairly thick metal (not heavy foil like the cheap things in the sheds) and you look after it reasonably well it will be fine for 20 - 30 years or more. The taps will wear out before the sink.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup, no problem, done that.

Don't have a "Replace Original" button anywhere.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 23:40:47 GMT, a certain chimpanzee, "The Medway Handyman" randomly hit a keyboard and produced:

As my dad said about a friend of my mother's, "she hid her money under the soap".

When I worked for L'pool City Council, I used to do surveys for the sale of council houses. I saw some squalid hovels in that job. Some you had to hold your breath on the way in and keep making excuses to go outside. However, what one always longed to hear on the doorstep was, "I'm sorry, you'll have to excuse the mess", which meant that the house was pristine except for a couple of magazines on the coffee table.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

I say that to visitors.

In my case it means you'll have to wait until I clear a space for you to sit down.

Owain

Reply to
Owain